LegacyGT.com

New Tire Help Needed

CapnJack

The temps are starting to go up here in Wisconsin and the snow is starting to melt and that means its time for the summer shoes to go back on. However, since I don't have any, its time to go shoe shopping and I'm looking for some recommendations.

Here's a little background:

I don't ever track the car, but I am considering some track days at Road America. They would be few and far between.

The tires would see only spring, summer, and fall weather as I run dedicated snows in the winter(Wintersport M3). I don't want something that is unusable on snow however because it could save my butt if I do need to run in snow to get home to put my snow tires on or if I blow a snow tire. Both wet and dry traction are very important and I want something that won't hydroplane easily. I'm also not opposed to a dedicated summer tire either, however keep in mind they may need to see snow from time to time. Ultimately though, they should serve their primary purpose of a summer tire before they serve as a snow.

I'm also looking for something with good sidewalls, I hate it when the car feels unstable(floating) on the highway when making aggressive lane changes.

On the RE-bunny killers and Wintersports, the tire has a built in "rim protector". This is a must too on the new tire. I just bought a set of 18" Prodrives and would like to protect the rim as much as I can. I would be running a 225 width if that makes a difference.

Longevity is also important. I got nearly 40,000 on the RE92s and sold them with decent tread left on them. I don't expect them to last a lifetime, but would also like my money's worth.

Finally, Price... I'm looking for something under/near $150 a piece but would pay more for a little better tire.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'm very satisfied with my Toyo T1R (225/40/18) tyres, I've had them for one season and they still have enough thread for one more. They also have "rim protectors" and with enough pressure in the tyres you won't have any problem with the sidewalls.

I've driven on (a little) snow once, when I was on my way to change to winter wheels. It's not something I want to do again, ever. But the car did not slide as long as I drove carefully and didn't provoke it.. Keep in mind that this is a dedicated summer tyre.

You probably won't get as much mileage out of these tyres, but they have tons of grip for daily driving! :)

I have Hankook Evo V12. I do like them.

I drove them once in slush as I did wait too long to put my winter tires on.

They did surprizingly well.

It seems to be better to put your winter high performance tires sooner and take them off later than buy summer tires with snow in mind (or be cought in early snow on summer tires). At least this is my plan for next winter (late autumn).

Krzys

I got Toyo Proxes - 106/tire after rebate. Great traction. Great in rain. Good in snow. Stood up to 2 days at HPDE at VIR without excessive wear. Could be quieter on highway but nothing bad. I'll get another set when these are worn out.

I've got it narrowed down to a few different models now:

Continental ExtremeContact DWS - High Reviews and good price on Tire Rack as well as what appears to be an excellent treadlife rating. Concerned about handling considering it is an AS tire

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec - Good performance summer tire with high reviews, but I'm concerned about tread life on these tires. As for handling, they may be more than what I need.

Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport - High Reviews and good price on Tire Rack.

Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 - High Reviews (here and magazines) and good price. Worried about treadlife given it has only a 280 rating.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position - High Reviews on a high performance all season. Good treadlife and warranty on treadlife.

Goodyear Eagle GT - High Reviews on a UHPAS tire with excellent treadlife and awesome price. Mr. Sinister, how is handling compared to the RE92s dry and wet? Do they tend to float on the highway?

I can't find any Toyos on Tire Rack in my price range or else I would consider them. Tire Rack has treated me VERY well they are the only tire company I will do business with.

My two biggest concerns are tread life and how they feel at high way speeds. I got burned really bad on a set of tires I bought for my Integra. I put the tires on and on the highway, when I would make lane changes, I would change lanes then wait for the tires to catch up. It felt like I was driving on ice. I know it was the tires and not the car since the attitude of the car changed after I changed the tires.

I'm on my second set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position tires. I replaced my first set with 7/32" with ~35K on them in December. I live in Northeastern PA and I thought that tread depth wasn't enough for snow traction. Looking back I wised I kept them. Based on the fact that they have 11/32" new I think they wore pretty good. Keep them inflated 42-43 F and 40-41 R and you'll get at least 45K-50K (assuming you run them down to 4/32").

Good luck.

Mr. Sinister, how is handling compared to the RE92s dry and wet? Do they tend to float on the highway?

I've never driven on RE92s with this car, so I can't compare the two. I've been very happy with both wet and dry performance. No problems with floating on the highway either.

• 4 weeks later...
Not meaning to thread jack here, I'm in the same situation trying to decide on tires... Not wanting to spend alot of $$$ but still want to get something decent, I've narrowed it down to General UHPs, Falken 912, Sumitomo HTR Z III, or Hankook Ventus Evo 12. Anyone have any experience with any of these, or could provide some direction? I'm leaning towards the Falken 912 at the moment.

If you get the Falkens go the FK 452's over the 512's or 912's Ive had all and the 452's win hands down. Didn't like sumitomo's, Z1 star specs wear too quickl;y as did my Toyo t1r's. Decent cheap tires available on tire rack are the General UHP's which I put on 1 month ago. They were a little greasy at first but now handling very well.

Archived