LegacyGT.com

Audio options...

BravoZero

I recently just bought my lovely 06 Legacy 2.5i Limited, sweet car. I owned an 02 Mitsu Eclipse GT right before and dumped over $1200 into the audio, all Alpine (personal preference, to each his own.) That included a single din MP3 deck with iPod connection, Type-R front components (6.5's and 1 inch tweeters), Type-R 6x9's, a four-channel amp, a mono amp and a Type-R 12 inch sub with a custom ported box. That also included the dual amp kit and wiring. (Besides the audio, I spent another $2k in various mods.)

Like I said I love my new Legacy, with one (common) problem. Since it's the limited, I have the Dual Climate Controls (uh oh) and a non-MP3 6-CD player, no OEM subwoofer. Now, I don't plan on doing anything with this car to the extent I did with the Eclipse, maybe a few things but nothing major, especially since I'm under an extended warranty. Plus, money isn't as abundant nowadays so I'm trying to get the best option for the lowest price.

I wanted to know my options for the audio in this car. Here's what I came up with:

-If possible, swap the ACC for a manual climate control system, then get the Metra kit for an aftermarket HU.

-Keep the ACC system but find an identical one for sale that can play MP3 cd's, 6-CD of course.

-Get an OEM under-seat subwoofer and install it to whatever stock radio I have.

My biggest question is can the Dual Climate Control be replaced with a manual? I'm not spending ~$300 for a JDM replacement that I will have to modify and paint, etc, but if I can get away with swapping auto to manual and getting the Din kit, that could open many doors for aftermarket audio replacement.

Any suggestions? Oh and by the way, glad to see some informative and mature people here. Used to "club3g.com" and the bunch of morons over there.

-If possible, swap the ACC for a manual climate control system

No go. Major differences between the two systems.

-Keep the ACC system but find an identical one for sale that can play MP3 cd's, 6-CD of course.

Quickest/easiest option to gain built-in MP3 CD capability (plus aux input, too). Any 2007-2009 with dual-zone A/C can be swapped in.

-Get an OEM under-seat subwoofer and install it to whatever stock radio I have.

That will work with your 2006 OEM radio. It will carry to a 2007-2009 radio, and even other Subarus that use the 14-pin radio harness. However, the benefit is not worth Subaru's price new. OK if you can find it used. Make sure the T-harness is complete (many are cut or missing entirely).

One other option -- your 2006 radio has a built-in 5th channel subwoofer output (65W?) used for a rear cargo sub speaker in some Outbacks. See pin-out here. If you can find a suitable speaker and box, you'll have sound comparable to the underseat unit, possibly for less cost.

HU alternative -- search for "cubby mount" (replacing the storage space above your clock with an aftermarket HU, keeping your stock HU for the A/C controls. Less expensive than the JDM replacement A/C panel.

Search for "jazzy mod" and "Leptronix" to simply add aux in to your existing HU.

One other option -- your 2006 radio has a built-in 5th channel subwoofer output (65W?) used for a rear cargo sub speaker in some Outbacks. See pin-out here. If you can find a suitable speaker and box, you'll have sound comparable to the underseat unit, possibly for less cost.

Do the 07-09 units have this capability?

What I am looking for, if I am going to continue staying stock, is a 6-CD changer or single CD with MP3 capabilities, have the ability for using my iPod, and hooking up a subwoofer. Would it be worth it to install the OEM harman/kardon speakers instead of the OEM subaru speakers?

i have a 2005 legacy limited with the same issue. Im installing a Line out converter to run the signal to a 4 channel amp then to the speakers which are being replaced. I can tell you how it goes if you want.

Do the 07-09 units have this capability [built-in subwoofer output]?

No. That feature was dropped from 2007-up, where they added the aux input.

Would it be worth it to install the OEM harman/kardon speakers instead of the OEM subaru speakers?
I don't think they'd be worth the time and expense. You might as well go aftermarket at that point.

So... If I were to get the 07-09 unit, I would gain aux input, but lose the ability to have the under seat subwoofer?

Yes to aux, no to incompatibility with under seat sub.

[The under seat sub] will work with your 2006 OEM radio. It will carry to a 2007-2009 radio, and even other Subarus that use the 14-pin radio harness.

By "carry to" I meant 'will be plug-and-play with'. The OEM sub connects strictly via the 14-pin radio harness, so it will work with any radio that uses that harness -- even an aftermarket radio, as long as you use a 14-pin install harness (i.e., you don't cut off the car's harness and do a hard-wire install).

See OEM sub info in post #4 of my thread...

I just had an idea... If this has been done before tell me and I will look up the research.

Being that the DCC models are a pain in the butt to do anything to, I configured a plan to add what I want but keep most of what I already have.

I believe the speaker setup in the car is the usual factory 2-ohm impendance, so I would replace all the wiring to a 4-ohm for aftermarket equipment. I would choose the speakers I want, including the front tweeters, front and rear 6.5's. I would keep the stock 6-CD player, hopefully I can get one that can play MP3's but not important. I would install a line-out converter to go with the new wiring. I would then install either a double-DIN unit in the cubby hole area, or a single-DIN flip out screen unit in the same area, relocating the information panel to the ashtray location. I would connect all the speakers to a four-channel amp.

Here's the tricky part... I want to use the stock CD player to play disks and listen to the AM/FM radio, and use the DVD unit (1 or 2 DIN) to use for navigation and iPod/USB connectivity. I would want to run both to the four-channel amp, but have a selector switch so both don't play at the same time. I would also run both to a mono amp for a subwoofer in the trunk.

Is this possible?

"I believe the speaker setup in the car is the usual factory 2-ohm impendance, so I would replace all the wiring to a 4-ohm for aftermarket equipment."

With a statement like that, I believe you may need to do a bit more reading and learning. Speaker wires don't change impedance... the speakers do.

As for your question, yes you can use a selector switch to feed the signal to the amp... just need to find a home for it.

Not sure why you are going through all this effort instead of just replacing the stock HU with something else. I don't see the benefit of using the stock CD player, AND use a separate DVD player? Why not just use the new DVD player for everything?

This is the idea for the pannel

http://www.coagent.cn/view_pro.php?id=49

but this is not for sale in my country, Is there alternatives in your country?, because in e-bay and others electronic.com is not

my first part is done:

Replacement the front spk for Alpine SR line components,

Two spk Bravox in the rear

A DLS soob in moldeded box at back case, plus a Eclipse ampl 4 chann, plus acustic door aislament

suerte..

Looks like that system is not made for the Subarus... based on that website. The HVAC and other controls in the Subarus is proprietary and custom, which is why it's so hard to find anything to replace it.

Your best bet is to get a HVAC replacement kit, as detailed in the top/stickied thread, and then put in an aftermarket unit. Trying to find an off-the-shelf, drop-in replacement for the stock stuff is almost impossible.

Er, looking at the rest of the stuff they make it looks like they recreated the subaru controls for there unit. There are a few company doing that sort of thing now for other cares then ours. Look like Caska is the first on the Legacy and thus why the unit cost $1000.

The interface between the controls and the HVAC controller are a standard UART serial interface (like the little MPG display on the 05-06 cars), so one could sniff and recreate it within a few days.

Some one want to make an inquiry on these things at Global Sources and see if we can do a group buy on it? I'm sure we could get the outback people in on this as well.

Also I attached a pic of what's being talked about for people just skimming though the tread.

B1019077015.jpg.123cde844bc9bf571236d43ea86b1c60.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've made my decision as far as audio goes.

I'm going with the same speaker setup in had in my Eclipse, all Alpine Type R, F300 amp and M800 amp, and 12" sub.

Here's my question. If I were to get my hands on an 07-09 OEM headunit (P204-UH, dual climate control and 6-CD with aux in) and install a Cleansweep or whatever, will that make a world of difference in the clarity and power of the audio setup? Also, I dunno what gauge wiring is used for the stock speakers, but would it suffice to just connect the Alpine speakers directly up to them, or should I get new wiring?

They (global sources) answered my email inquiry: the cost is US $ 299, plus ship cost but, the buy is directly with him (tony), suspicious no?.

By other hand, some post show a possible problem with heat of the unit, in a mazda car (Caska brand)..???

buy or no, that's the problem...

I think I've made my decision as far as audio goes.

I'm going with the same speaker setup in had in my Eclipse, all Alpine Type R, F300 amp and M800 amp, and 12" sub.

Here's my question. If I were to get my hands on an 07-09 OEM headunit (P204-UH, dual climate control and 6-CD with aux in) and install a Cleansweep or whatever, will that make a world of difference in the clarity and power of the audio setup? Also, I dunno what gauge wiring is used for the stock speakers, but would it suffice to just connect the Alpine speakers directly up to them, or should I get new wiring?

Anyone have an answer for this?

• 3 years later...
I had a pretty good solution when I bought my 05 lgt lmt wgn in 07. Stock head unit, ran the speaker wires to an AudioControl LC7 signal processor (fancy line level input with separate subwoofer/aux control), Alpine PDX 5 (5 channel amp), MB Quart reference components and a 10" Alpine type R in a slotted box. (insert jokes) Sounded great!

Drawbacks- the sub volume control was custom integrated to the gear shift panel behind the manual shifter, this knob was also the source selector- either the aux was on or the factory radio/cd was on. I always used the aux which bi-passed the factory head unit. The signal was only as good as the source- hence, the radio/cd sounded pretty good, my smart phone/mp3/pandora data connection sounded way better and connecting my laptop to the aux made it sound absolutely stellar. I have pics of the install- the AudioControl and Amp were mounted in the tray over the spare tire.

Archived