LegacyGT.com

Leak. windshield? sunroof?

Just went out to my 05 wagon to discover water leaking onto my center console. Its raining here pretty bad and is very windy here in jersey so i know that has something to do with it. I just can't tell where it is coming from. Its dripping from where the wires for the auto dimming mirror go up under the headliner. I checked and the sunroof is completely closed and there are no signs of water around the inside of the sunroof. I also was able to get my fingers up under the front lip of the headliner and the backside of the headliner is not wet. Any ideas on if it could be coming in from the top of the windshield, drains for the sunroof, or the sunroof itself? Its supposed to rain here all weekend and the dealer is closed till Monday.

Volkswagen is notorious for having clogged sunroof drains. Went through it on two of our cars. They had 4 drains (2 up front 2 in the rear) and I would have to clean it out with some weed whacker line. I dont know if the Legacys have drains or not, but if they do DO NOT just go jamming anything down there. If the drain tubes are made of plastic, you can puncture them and really screw yourself.

(this is assuming the Legacys even have sun roof drains. Someone would have to confirm this)

• 7 years later...

Yo 05,

You ever get that straightened out?

Just picked up an 04 and first big rainstorm with it on the road, water was leaking into my cup holder from the dome light. Top of my windshield is a little crusty, but I figured sanding and glassing over it with a little RTV on the side like ketchup, it'll be right as rain

Archived