LegacyGT.com

Driving on Freeway Car shut off, Noise like belt spinning w/ smell, CEL, Oil light

I am in the minority here, but at a Subaru dealership $2K + for the headgaskets in not ridiculous. On the high side maybe, but not ridiculous. If done properly, machine work alone for the heads would be a few hundred bucks. Then depending on the miles, you're bound to replace some valves, plus, again, depending on the miles, they will recommend a new water pump, reseal the oil pump, new timing belt, and new seals/gaskets/coolant for everything involved with pulling the heads. It is a lot more involved then some might think.

FSM= Factory Service Manual

The 2.2 engines weren't prone to head gasket failure, at least not nearly as much as the 2.5.

If I was in your position, I would:

1. Worry about what caused the squealing/burning rubber smell first and foremost. Fix it.
  2. Change oil and keep some white paper towels on hand. Check every week and save the paper towel. Compare the color with the week before to look for changes. Keep a close eye on your temp guage when driving. It should never fluctuate once it reaches operating temp.
  3. If there is any changes(ie: coolant begins getting into the oil), take it to the Subaru dealer and let them do some tests on the engine to confirm head gaskets failure.

Thanks again. I will do what you said because I called two other shops and I keep getting quoted $2000.00 and up to $2500.00.

They keep telling me that the engine needs to come out, does anyone know if that is correct?

Well, today was the first day I started the car.

I checked the oil and it is more than full with oil and coolant.

It started up just fine and idles smoothly. I turned the heater on and got a little squeal and a click sound from when the heatrer kicks in but no squealing like before.

My wifes uncle's friend might be able to fix it or introduce me to some people who can. I would love to keep the car but depending on what they say I think I will just sell it and be done with it.

you didn't do anything to "repair" the gasket issue?... addressing the R&I or not to R&I issue, i'd say pull the engine. Subaru engines are really easy to take out and the only problem comes with dealing with the A/C.. i believe you can leave the pump in the car and not disturb the charge. Seeing as your coolant system has already been compromised you won't have to stress about having to disconnect that. Headgaskets go easily on these years but from the sounds of it, usually doesn't damage heads unless its a bad overheat. My buddy Giro Disc i know has replaced headgaskets in these things for around 500... I'd tell any shop in Seattle telling you 2500 to go fly a kite.

• 6 months later...

Alrighty then, finally got the car fixed for $1,834.13 tax included. The car's interior and exterior were in too good of shape to get rid of. Now the car purr's like a kitten. One thing the mechanic mentioned were the bearings and if I wanted them replaced because they could have been damaged the one mile I drove home because the coolant deterioates the smooth surface and will cause the engine to start knocking and the knocking will get worse and worse until there is engine failure.

Because of my financial capabilities, I opted to go with the HG repair only. Had no choice.

Are the engine bearings something that is typically replaced during a HG repair?

I will try to post a picture of the paper work of everything that was done to the car.

I hope the picture comes out ok.

1108831697_RecieptCopy.thumb.jpg.361052aaf9decbd00459522a18962ede.jpg

What do you guys think?

Archived