LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT 2008. 15 Month/Winter impressions

So... I got this car in Nov 2009.

External Appearance: Still looks good, still get random looks, but typically if they are looking from the front...seating down or in a car... and a see hood scoop, otherwise no looks. I pass 2010 legacy all the time, I think my car is 5x better looking.

Interior: I drive with my co-worker everyday to starbucks... he loves the interior..he says the color variations and the leather makes a ton of difference. His fav is the built in navi system. Also it is easy to clean the leather.

Handling: When I changed the tires to DWS, the driving become smoother and you don't feel pot holes as much anymore, but the driving became hazardous at higher speeds. My biggest complain with this car is the handling is pretty poor, this car needs mods to get stability.

Power: Power has been consistent, hasn't died... like my nissan altima, after 3 years it felt like it lost at least 50hp. Most dramatic change was with the nissan altima around 2nd year, when it started to feel sluggish. Also I changed the exhuast to an SPT exhaust, it makes the car sound nice and makes me feel good.

Winter AWD System: This was my favorite during the winter, we had like what 3-4 winter storms in NYC this winter? Loved it each time except once when I drove 12am, dec 19th storm, peak snow, LIE with 8 inches of snow, plowed all wrong, I was all over the road, I should have turned off VDC from the beginning, it made it worse. So the biggest + is that after it snowed, and car was half berried, all I needed was clean the windows and that's it... and I'm out. I turned off VDC which gave 50/50 and just gas it it and I'm out.

Summary: The best AWD for winter driving. Love the turbo, love it when it kicks in. Love the SPT exhaust. Makes up for other things I don't like, like the passenger seat is super uncomfortable. It feels like this car could keep going for many more years. Long term, this car is pretty good and doesn't piss you off or disappoint you. When you see a faster car pass you, of course you want it, but at the same time you know that you can't afford it. My co-worker likes my car, but I know he can't afford the GT, and the 170hp Subaru cars are very different.

I think the safest and more worth it expense is the SPT exhaust I got with this car.. driving with that extra noise calms your nerves after a long work day...

Hey great write up. I have been looking at the SPT exhaust for a couple of months.. Just waiting for the right time ($ money wise).

I wish we had snow this year, I am envious of those who have had a few OCCASIONAL snow flurries. Can live without the Colorado or Alaska winters though :)

Hey great write up. I have been looking at the SPT exhaust for a couple of months.. Just waiting for the right time ($ money wise).

I wish we had snow this year, I am envious of those who have had a few OCCASIONAL snow flurries. Can live without the Colorado or Alaska winters though :)

Just buy one online... makes a big difference as a daily.. thought if you want a lot of noise, this is not the exhaust for you.

Btw the dealer I went to charged me only 75 bucks to install it, took 30 mins to install it.

i've done a few exterior mods to make my car more to my liking and it does a few more looks since i've changed it up a little. other than my guages i haven't done anything to the interior but it is definitely comfy inside the cabin. for the handling i really have to reccomend sway bars. since i've installed my perrin 22mm front and rear badrs there is no body roll and a much stiffer, tighter ride. i've been stage 2 for a while now and love the extra GO power. in the winter awd surely gets you going but tires are always gonna play a huge roll in winter driving, all seasons just have never cut it for me in the winter but i haven't bought a set of winter tires for my LGT yet. after this winter i will be picking up a set for next year though, dunlop wintersport FTW.. i liked the car to begin with but after my mods this car is perfect for me.

+1 for sway bars. I put the Perrin 25mm front and rear on. They make such a huge difference. Next for me is the LCA bushings. Mine are a little wobbly.
BE committed to DO what it takes to HAVE more of what you want in your life!!!

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised about the handling comment. I came from a 2002 WRX with Tanabe GF210 springs as my only suspension mod, and I feel like this car handles just as good and feels just as planted as my WRX, probably due to the longer wheelbase. I've only owned my LGT for five months, and I've just began to feel comfortable enough in the driver seat to start pushing it through the twisties, and I must say, I'm damn surprised at how confident the car feels. I was expecting much more boat-like handling. All that's done to the car is a set of 17x8 wheels with 215/45, bald ass Yokohamas. I'm in the market for some 245/40 tires, I imagine the car will feel much better with some wider tires that actually have some tread on em.

My only complaint with my car is that it is still stock..

I just noticed today that the huge rush I used to get at WOT is gone....it is still a small rush depending on whom I'm passing...but it feels slower for sure.

I'm about ready to make the jump to stage 2....I can't believe it feels less fast after lessthan 6 weeks....

Hope nothing is wrong ;)

^bahah thats my feeling too! but than one of my cats is atleast bad and the dealership is replacing that. so im hoping that is just it, or bad o2 and maybe thats why i feel slower lol. Maybe, its the uppipe and downpipe in my closet that is making me think so.

Do any of the sway bars make the ride harsher?

I don't think my ride was harsher. I put coilovers on just before and I know they made it more performance oriented. I don't want to say harsher, but I did not notice it getting harsher after the sways. Just way less body roll. It almost like a little go kart now.

BE committed to DO what it takes to HAVE more of what you want in your life!!!

I think the safest and more worth it expense is the SPT exhaust I got with this car.

I'm a fan of my SPT exhaust as well. I'm very impressed with the build quality. After two years on the road as my DD and two really salty winters here in PA you can see how well the finish has held up in this vid I shot last week:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXHZvvFhSvs]YouTube- Legacy GT w/ SPT CBE Stereo/HD[/ame]

Do any of the sway bars make the ride harsher?

No, swaybars won't effect your ride feel.

This car handles terribly stock. My 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero (wrx wagon) handled far better. It rolled more, granted, but the actual tossability was far better. Don't even get me started on comparing it to my 06 Civic SI....

But, I bought this car with the knowledge that it's a platform. It comes with crappy sway bars and tires. I put new sways on, and body roll was gone and the steering got alot better. Still on the original tires. Stock dampers suck, so one day I'll replace them....

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, there's alot of little things you should do that will make the experience alot better. And alot of them are simply replacing wear items.

Like the turbo. One of these days, I'll have to put the effort in to explain to my wife that the turbo is a wear item :)

Gotta agree about the poor handling in "certain" conditions. Huge windstorm in the gorge made the car a handful!!....I am running a Perrin 25mm bar in the back and the stocker in the front, maybe I have made the car "unbalanced" this way?......thoughts?...Continental Extreme Contacts DWS made a big difference...

Huge windstorm in the gorge made the car a handful!!....I am running a Perrin 25mm bar in the back and the stocker in the front, maybe I have made the car "unbalanced" this way?......thoughts?

You bet you did. From the factory it's manufactured COMPLETELY the opposite way with the front more stiff. You'd be best served by replacing the front sway as well. I run Perrin 22mm front and rear bars with front set to stiff and rear set to soft and it's perfectly predictable and always stable.

Thanx Capthook! I was afraid that was what had happened. The Perrin rear 25 was a screamin deal but I gotta bite the bullet and spend the money for the front. I am glad the rear is adjustable as I will change it up and make it softer than the front!!.....

IMG_0048.thumb.jpg.1548c92953fc56896263ce36d5dcc953.jpg

Archived