LegacyGT.com

Alcantara Shift Knob

dr_sharp

Has anyone installed an alcantara wrapped shift knob? Lathewerks sells them and I'm interested but worried that the alcantara will wear. I realize that its a durable fabric, but that seems like a very wear prone spot, especially for blue alcantara like this:

http://lathewerks.com/images/WCLW/Alcantara/SSSP%20BlueAlcantara%206MT%203.JPG

lol

Cloth would wear and hold dirt/oil from hands way more than leather. I thought about going that route but decided against it.

Talk to Chris @ WC Lathe Werks. You might be able to just ship him the knob you've had made and get it redone if it wears for much cheaper than a new knob. He's said in the NASIOC thread that you can even ship him back the knob if it gets scuffed to re-polish it.

I received my sphere knob, no frills just the shift pattern etched in. And it's amazing. 1.2lbs of awesomeness. It's a bit cold in the mornings here, but not bad at all.

I'm going to do nothing but rant and rave about those knobs. I ALMOST bough a BM shifter, but the mounting hardware looked too cheap and too "universal". At least WC Lathe Werks are designed for our cars.

I'm running their copolymer STi sphere knob since shortly after I got my car (3 years or so).

Extremely happy with the size, weight, feel of the shift knob. Due to the material no issues at all with extreme heat or cold.

Been running my WC Lathe Werks knob for a few weeks now and I love it! Even in sub 20 degree weather, yes it's cold, it's a freaking slab of stainless steel! But still worth the easy smooth shifts!

In all seriousness the most important thing to ask yourself is...

DO YOU WEAR WHITE? Are you the type that wears a white long button up all day and it is still clean?

Then you probably keep your hands clean enough not to worry about handling your knob :lol:

If you are like the rest of us who wash our hands after hit the head, or before we eat, it will probably get dirty and require more regular cleaning. It is VERY easy to wipe off my alloy momo.

Alcantara is also pretty easy to clean, that's one of its selling points. But thats a good point, I stay pretty clean but occasionally work requires me to get dirty.

I agree that alcantara is a wunder-material and may be pretty easy to clean but nothing says clean like a solid slab of something smooth (metal, plastic, fiberglass, etc). A wet nappy will clean it to like-new shape after the kid spits up.

Wait a minute, I mean dog.:lol:

Archived