LegacyGT.com

If you are swapping 2.5 heads on a 2.2, what kind of EM do you have to do? Piggyback?

Putting 2.5 heads on a 2.2 will lower compression and power output...

Running 2.2 heads on a 2.5 block requires no electronic modification, it will run on the 2.2 harness and ECU. Gains may be had by a piggyback.

Sounds like a lot of wiring for not much gain. :(

There is no wiring involved, all plug and play. Basically a head gasket job. Easy as pie, definitely not a turbo swap...

The only time it's worth putting 2.5 heads on a 2.2 is if someone has an EJ22T like you have. They flow much better and you can increase overall boost and power output. But, you'll have to run a stand alone, piggyback, or a WRX/STi ECU. All of those options involve merging harnesses and such. You'd also need to upgrade the turbo and header, as well as making sure you have the entire top end from a EJ25D. Doing this you should also add a TMIC from an 06/07 WRX, increase cooling ability with the addition of a low temp thermostat, oil cooler, and an aluminum radiator depending on desired power output.

I'm not sure, but I think the stock EJ22T pistons need to be replaced with different ones... I just can't remember correctly so don't take my word for it on that one.

Amongst other things, I plan on doing something like this in the future with the SS I'm going to buy soon..

Maybe I'm confused, but I did read back on this thread. This thread is about an N/A Frankenmotor, and has nothing to do with the EJ22T. Yes 2.5 heads on an old turbo block makes big power, a whole other topic.

Running 2.2 heads on a 2.5 block requires no electronic modification, it will run on the 2.2 harness and ECU. Gains may be had by a piggyback.

This is the sentence that confused me. You mention running 2.2 heads on a 2.5 block and then say you will run the block on a 2.2 harness and ecu. That made me think you meant that you would have to swap a 2.2 harness with a 2.5 harness. That's why I said it sounded like a lot of wiring for not much gain.

Kenny brought up the EJ22T because he knows I have a spare 22T block that I want to swap into my second gen after I rebuild it. I don't plan on doing that swap for a year so I can take my time rebuilding it into a lil' monster. I also have a '93 SS that I am rebuilding at the moment.

You'd also need to upgrade the turbo and header, as well as making sure you have the entire top end from a EJ25D.

I thought another option is to swap some EJ20G heads on the EJ22T and there is no need for any harness merging or engine management. In this case I would be putting them on the SS that has the stock 22T ECU. Am I wrong?

Maybe I'm confused, but I did read back on this thread. This thread is about an N/A Frankenmotor, and has nothing to do with the EJ22T. Yes 2.5 heads on an old turbo block makes big power, a whole other topic.

I mentioned it for the reasons Monkey said, and also was just stating the only reason you'd ever want to put 2.5 heads on a 2.2 engine in general..

This is the sentence that confused me. You mention running 2.2 heads on a 2.5 block and then say you will run the block on a 2.2 harness and ecu. That made me think you meant that you would have to swap a 2.2 harness with a 2.5 harness. That's why I said it sounded like a lot of wiring for not much gain.

You can use either harness and either ECU.

I thought another option is to swap some EJ20G heads on the EJ22T and there is no need for any harness merging or engine management. In this case I would be putting them on the SS that has the stock 22T ECU. Am I wrong?

You're right, that is another option. I just didn't mention it since we were talking of 2.2 and 2.5 engines.

Archived