LegacyGT.com

legacy won't start.

I have a 2005 legacy GT. the other day i got in my car and tried to turn it on, all the instrumentals and interior lights came on but when i turned the key the extra notch to start the engine, nothing happened. the engine didn't turn over or make any sounds. I have 3/4 of a tank of gas and i know my battery is alive. I let it sit and the next morning it started. the same problem happened again a couple nights later and it started after leaving it for a couple of hours. Now it won't start at all and i haven't driven it for 2 days. what's wrong?

I think it's possible your starter may be going bad on you. I'd pull it, take it to a car parts place and have it tested...actually, I'd take it to a couple car parts places to make sure. It should be free. Also check the battery connections and make sure they're snug but i'm sure it's the starter.

It can be the starter, even they aren't 100% reliable even if they do have a good record, but there can also be some interlock issue like neutral switch on gear selector or a safety breaker on the clutch pedal.

The best way to test is to make sure that the gearbox is in neutral, turn on the ignition, open the hood and then check if you can enable the starter by a jump cable from the positive pole on the battery to the control connector on the starter. If that works to start the car you have a switch or relay somewhere that is messing up things. If nothing happens with the starter then it's the starter.

453747.png

hang on.......I had a similiar problem last year. mine was the clutch position switch. If i remember NOTHING on my car would turn on and i thought it was a dead battery. after changing that out i still ended up with the same symptoms.

flat bedded it to a mechanic who diagnosed the clutch position switch.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Yeah it's probably the starter, i'll ask around, thanks guys

Just check the other things first, it's easier to diagnose.

What mwiener really tries to say is that if you have other things on your key ring they can cause interference and disturb the immobilizer so trying the spare key for the car as well as having the car key by itself when trying to start the car is one easy test.

Just try to avoid wasting money on things that aren't broken.

453747.png

Auto or manual?

If auto:

Check to verify its in PARK- Turn key forward, pull car out of park into any other gear. Replace back in park. Try to restart

Try to restart in neutral as well.

If Manual:

Is your clutch in?

Also is it possible that your immobilizer could have gotten scrambled? do you have another programed key that you could try?

The exact same thing happened to my 05 GT. Prior to not starting, I was getting a slight grind after starting when cold. One day I drove it to my parents house and went to leave and nothing. I checked all the fuses and relays and they were ok. It turned out to be a bad starter. It is very easy to replace. Take off the intercooler and remove three wires from the starter and two bolts holding it to the block. The bottom bolt is a little hard to get to but it is all accessible from under the hood. The replacement was around $100 with core from Autozone. I had to order it because no auto parts store here stocked it.

the exact same thing happened to my 05 gt. Prior to not starting, i was getting a slight grind after starting when cold. One day i drove it to my parents house and went to leave and nothing. I checked all the fuses and relays and they were ok. It turned out to be a bad starter. It is very easy to replace. Take off the intercooler and remove three wires from the starter and two bolts holding it to the block. The bottom bolt is a little hard to get to but it is all accessible from under the hood. The replacement was around $100 with core from autozone. I had to order it because no auto parts store here stocked it.

+1

I'm liking the clutch / neutral interlock idea first. Unless there's some dash indication that the security system is tripped...

IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING: You can test the starter by shorting out the solenoid + right from the battery.

Archived