LegacyGT.com

cv boot leaking

ok, so after replacing the driver's side cv joint (whole complete part, brand new) with a napa one last august, I've noticed a discoloration on the driver's side rim for the past month or so, but thought it was just dirt. Yesterday, I popped off the rim to look around and do some routine checkups; saw grease everywhere. The inside of the rim was coated in the black stuff, and I see the outer cv boot leaking. I won't even begin to describe how pissed I was, but I have pictures that may help. 0305001052a.thumb.jpg.4cae013eadeceb03412debd776db90ac.jpg

0305001052b.thumb.jpg.74a318eb85e91d79a8d3450bd95a9010.jpg

Before I tear apart the whole hub again to replace the shaft AGAIN, is there anything I can do to replace the boot/repack/reseal without getting too involved? I've been driving the car up until yesterday, and haven't noticed any ill effects, but don't want to take a risk just yet.

it depends. the only reason you need a boot is to keep dirt out. i dont see why you couldn;t just get a new boot if you wash all the dirt out and grease. this is if the joint is not wore out from dirt but for just a month....hard to say. depends on driving conditions

hmm...winter driving...may have to clean like hell or just get a new boot altogether. it always depends, you're absolutely right :)

found the leak, it's a small hole in the boot (6-7mm) at one of the valleys in the bellows. i've heard shoe goo works well, and usually seals it up pretty nicely...has anyone tried this? and what grease should i repack the boot with after cleaning and everything?

I've found that resealing a damaged boot seldom lasts for very long. Heck the new one didn't last, so how long could a repaired one go?

Replacing just the boot doesn't make much sense when a re-manufactured axle is only 45 bucks. A boot kit is around 20 and then you need a special tool to install the boot clamps. On top of that you have all the work of removing one end of the axle to install the new boot, and it is one dirty, pig mess of a job.

The axle should still be under warranty if you bought it last August. Do they not have a 1 year warranty? The ones I bought today from NAPA have a 1 year warranty,and they're re-manufactured axles.

Good luck.

eh...yeah. I've been fighting with myself over this; had championship conference game tonight (WE WON!!!) so I haven't had time to finalize anything. I've got shoogoo and cv grease already, but I'm afraid that if it's not done right, it's gonna suck. as far as replacing it, I don't wanna go the whole 9 yards to get something that might not last long again haha. to be honest, replacing the original cv joint was a PITA; took 4 days with school, and alotta hassle with rusted bolts and the main hub bolt. then again, the weather is warming up, so I might be more willing to spend some time. we checked, and couldn't find a 1 year warranty on the new axle, even called NAPA :/

Well, this axle should be a whole lot easier to remove since it was out less than a year ago. As for NAPA, here's the warranty on a new axle. It was taken from the NAPA web site,

" Limited Lifetime, Replacement Will Be Issued for Unit that Proves Defective During Normal Use on the Vehicle on Which It Was Originally Installed. Extended Only to the Owner of the Vehicle on Which the Unit is Installed-Not Transferable."

I do stand corrected on the re-manufactured axle warranty. It is not I year as I thought, its a 3 year warranty.

So, as you can see, either way that axle you have is covered under a warranty. If you had paid to have the axle installed, chances are NAPA would be responsible for installing the new axle as well.(depends on state laws)

Seeing as to how you installed it, you're stuck doing the work again.

But you are due a new axle. Don't let NAPA tell you differently. If you don't have a receipt, you can bet the information is in the NAPA system.

Good luck.

" Limited Lifetime, Replacement Will Be Issued for Unit that Proves Defective During Normal Use on the Vehicle on Which It Was Originally Installed. Extended Only to the Owner of the Vehicle on Which the Unit is Installed-Not Transferable."

Yep, I found this too, but figured that because something was kicked up to cause the tear in the boot, it wasn't a "unit that proves defective during normal use". If I was to take the whole assembly apart, bring it to NAPA and say that this was defective, they're probably going to look at the tear in the middle of the boot and say "get out of here", right? So...should I just patch and hope for the best, or trash the whole joint for a new one/get a new boot? As long as the seal is left alone and prepped properly, the shoe goo should last a long time apparently, plus I'm leaving in half a year for college (hopefully will have the subaru my soph. year though!)

Get a new boot, clean it up, repack the joint and mount it again.

If you did get some dirt in the joint a repacking with fresh grease will take care of it, and as long as you don't experience any vibrations or noise from the joint you will be fine. It may have a bit shortened life, but not necessarily. Changing the whole axle - well, if you think you want to spend that money - fine, but compare what you expect of the current axle first compared to expected lifetime of the car. Universal Joints usually are noisy and quirky a long time before it's time to replace them and they usually doesn't blow to pieces unless they are severely damaged/cracked or abused.

So getting your fingers dirty and add a new boot seems to be the best option.

453747.png

Gray area,but I still think it should be covered. First off, I doubt the guys at NAPA will really give a crap how it was damaged, nor could they say the damage isn't caused by ice somehow, which is very possible. Ice works in mysterious ways,and I don't know many people that check for ice build up in the CV joints before driving off. This is normal use in an area that can have ice and snow. Plus, Subaru's are notorious for ice build up in the wheel well area. I've owned a lot of Subaru's over the years, and I've yet to have one that the wheel wells didn't fill up with snow and ice to where it was rubbing on the tire. And this ice and snow would have rocks and who knows what in it. So,who can say that ice didn't fall from the wheel well and freeze around the CV joint, and that maybe there was a sharp stone that cut the boot when the car was moved? Not the guys at the counter at NAPA that's for sure.

Just me,but I'd be getting a new axle, but in the end, the choice of what to do is up to you. I feel you did nothing wrong, unless of course you were out screwing around and know for certain you ran over something and damaged the boot.

Good luck.

Archived