LegacyGT.com

It warmed up a bit - car runs better. Why?

LGTspecB1657615261

So during the winter my car just runs... well... it just runs O.K.

The acceleration is not quite smooth I guess you could say. It was my car's first winter actually.

Well this week it warmed up to low 40's. (shut up south/west, I don't even want to hear it). The car seems to run much more smoothly and seems more responsive. Why is this? Is it because the car was tuned in warmer weather, and things are a little different in cold weather?

I can't wait for spring, and my car can't either I guess. I can't wait to throw E85 back in and get a re-tune on my AWIC.

FYI - the AWIC survived all winter. The water pump still chugs away, even in the low low temps.

I've noticed the same thing (on the butt dyno). Ever since the temps have climbed to the upper 40s and lower 50s around here my car seems quite a bit more responsive. I am also looking forward to getting my summer rubber swapped back on.

no knock. MAF scaling is stable. Perhaps my engine load comp table is slightly different when it is cold.

i.e. perhaps I am getting RPM based corrections because I had my engine load comp table tweaked in warmer weather.

Either way, I don't ask much of my car in the winter - as long as it runs perfect from April to October I am happy :)

I am picky - it runs good - just not perfect. In summer - it will be perfect.

I am mostly talking about power "smoothness"

I have not actually pulled g/s yet. I want to wait for a re-tune until I go WOT to redline. I want to make sure everything is good with the new AWIC. I don't see pulled timing up on the high end yet, but I have not tweaked the map yet either. One would assume the AWIC is just as good as the TMIC - but I need to verify this.

I might install my post-IC IAT setup tonight. :)

sorry, people use the term "smooth" in about 50 different ways when discussing the way an engine runs. You need to generate logs of this problem occurring.

I agree. I have tried and tried to catch it, and it does not seem to show up in anything I log. Perhaps I am just not logging the right thing. I have a feeling its due to injector tuning but I really have no clue. I am not a tuner by any means. All I know is, the problem approximately "showed up" after installing injectors. Maybe the flow pattern is not great? I dunno. It got better when MikeyD helped me tune my engine load compensation table, but that is unrelated I think. I was getting some RPM-based corrections that are no longer as evident.

Archived