LegacyGT.com

92 Turbo Performance upgrades

drhoward

Hey I have been looking around this site for some more info about my new 92 legacy turbo, it seems like most of the info I can find relates more to the later model (95+) cars. Are there any good threads that go into any details about upgrades for these cars? I'm not looking for anything crazy but a little bit of extra power would be nice

Cheers

www.boxer4racing.com

They have an aluminum MAF adapter for your car that only costs about $20 and will allow you to make your own custom short ram or cold air intake with a 3" cone filter.

They also make lightweight aluminum crank pulleys that weigh in at about 2 lbs. You can also buy an entire underpulley kit, which replaces all the pulleys of the accessory drive belt to lightweight aluminum ones that have a lesser drive ratio, making it easier for the engine to turn these components.

Assuming this car is a manual transmission, you can use a lightweight flywheel but this requires removing the engine and transmission to replace. While you're at it you might as well replace the clutch.

DOHC cylinder heads from the DOHC EJ25 will fit and yield decent performance increase, but it will also move the power higher in the RPM range. If you get a set of DOHC heads with a recent valve job and a decent port/polish/intake manifold port match you can make some impressive power, but if you're going to take off the heads for costly upgrades you might as well go all the way while you're at it. By that I mean a full rebuild with, if nothing else, new main and rod bearings, new piston rings, and maybe an overbore. Money money money...

You can also retrofit an MSD ignition coil from an Eagle Talon/Dodge Neon to fit on your car. MSD Part #: 8239 will work, but you must replace the coil leads on your spark plug wires with MSD pieces that are very inexpensive. To install this coil you will need to find a 1995-98 Dodge Neon or Eagle Talon in the junkyard and cut off its 3 wire coil plug. Take the plug home and cut the plug on the Legacy off, wiring in the new plug with the left wire on the left terminal of the plug, the middle with the middle terminal, and the right with the right terminal. Then you just need to mount the coil with a custom bracket and plug in the spark plug wires. If the car won't fire, switch the left and right wires on the plug around and it should start right up. This mod should cost you about $100 with the MSD spark plug wire ends, the coil, and a piece of sheet metal to make an adapter. Get that kit and some Bosch Platinum 2+ plugs and you should feel a hotter spark that promotes more complete combustion.

Aside from these mods there really isn't too much else you can do without custom modifications to engine internals. If you tear the motor apart you can replace most internals with high performance parts, but this comes with a steep price. ARP studs and bolts are available, as are Eagle H-Beam connecting rods. Some choose to use the crank of the STi to make one-off stroker kits yielding massive power/torque benefits, but these are costly builds not for the faint of heart. You could always just throw on a bigger turbo, but you risk damaging already old piston rings and head gaskets. Plus, without proper associated upgrades extra boost won't give you anything but trouble on an older motor, especially where reliability is concerned.

Either way you have a nice car. I would kill to get my hands on a 92 Turbo Leggy.... Nice find in deed!

Have fun! :)

Ya it seems like it is a bit more rare than I first thought. I am not looking to build anything to crazy (I already have a couple of other cars for that) Just a bit more kick in the ass. It seems like the little bit of info I can find, everyone says to keep the boost to around 10 psi on the stock turbo/internals, what do they run at stock? I am guessing 5-6 pounds? Is it possible to up it a bit and not screw around with the computer a bunch?

Ya it seems like it is a bit more rare than I first thought. I am not looking to build anything to crazy (I already have a couple of other cars for that) Just a bit more kick in the ass. It seems like the little bit of info I can find, everyone says to keep the boost to around 10 psi on the stock turbo/internals, what do they run at stock? I am guessing 5-6 pounds? Is it possible to up it a bit and not screw around with the computer a bunch?

You can up the boost moderately without messing with the computer. As long as the MAF sensor detects how much extra air the car consumes it will provide enough fuel. I'm not sure what they run stock but it's probably between 6-8 lbs. Don't quote me on that. :)

Archived