LegacyGT.com

going from one cat to zero question

McDowell Performance Tunin

Just curious if there is a significant gain in power, with a tune of course, deleting the last cat in my stock downpipe. I have and sti up and already deleted my first cat. I kept the last cat because I wasn't sure how Utah emissions testing was done. Turns out the just plug into the obd-II port and check for CEL's. So, basically I'm asking if it's worth crawling back under the car and gutting another damn cat :redface:. Input is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I open source tune my own car, so monitoring the chages is not a problem.

Are you talking about the cat in the mid-pipe? I removed mine and didn't really notice any difference. Slightly louder exhaust noise but no performance gains. I'm at stage 2 with PDX tune.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

Are you talking about the cat in the mid-pipe? I removed mine and didn't really notice any difference. Slightly louder exhaust noise but no performance gains. I'm at stage 2 with PDX tune.

Yes, sorry, I forgot the stock DP has the two sections :spin:. Yeah my question is about deleting the third cat. I think it's after the rear O2 sensor

Did you re-tune your car after taking this cat out?

Go with a catted bellmouth downpipe, and you'll make a lot more power than with a gutted stocker. The air's polluted enough without people deleting cats for no reason.

A while back infamous1 dyno'd the difference between a gutted stock dp and an aftermarket one with a bellmouth and 3" piping I believe and the difference was like 4 or 5 whp. I wouldn't call that a lot.

You may also want to check to see if they do visual checks as well. Every place I've ever been to puts a mirror under the car.

I just had my inspection done. In Utah they just plug into your OBD-II port to check for CEL's. No visuals or anything else.

Back on topic....has anyone gutted all three cats? I know I can get more power from a bellmouth, or another aftermarket set up. I can gut my cat for free ;). Just wondering if it's worth crawling under the car again to do this mod...:spin:

Go with a catted bellmouth downpipe, and you'll make a lot more power than with a gutted stocker. The air's polluted enough without people deleting cats for no reason.

don't worry, you are still increasing pollution by switching from having only the OEM rear cat to a downpipe with the typical metallic substrate aftermarket cat. Part of the reason why they are so cheap compared to a new OEM cat is that they have hardly any catalyst precious metals in them compared to stock. But they do control the smell under idle and low load driving.

On the search for a new DD...

Archived