LegacyGT.com

Steering Wheel Interface - MY04 Outback

my05blacksti

Reviving and old thread here, but I have a question along these lines.

I want to swap wheels on my '06 Forester. From what I've read '06 Legacy GT/OB wheel will work with my existing airbag. I don't want to swap airbags.

With this in mind, it appears that you can connect your swc directly to the controller, without using the existing wiring and the magic black box. So I should be able to use a steering wheel in my forester, even though it never offered swc.

This brings up my next question. Can I use the "shifter" buttons as swc? Do they operate the same? If I splice into them would the controller pick up the signals and use them? I've found a few wheels with the shifter buttons and I'd like to avoid paying extra for the audio button kit. Finally, will I need a new clock spring to make all this work?

Hope my questions make sense. Thanks in advance for any help.

• 2 years later...

Hopefully the insides of the LAN module are still of interest... :lol: Clicking the image will take you to the full size image...

http://foto.slovenija.net/cache_root/Danci/Razno/Legacy_BP/Momo/_800x800/IMG_20160520_203347.jpg

http://foto.slovenija.net/cache_root/Danci/Razno/Legacy_BP/Momo/_800x800/IMG_20160520_204823.jpg

I bought the steering wheel with controls to replace the one without, hoping it will all just magically work as I have the factory head unit.

Well, it didn't and it turned out my car didn't have the LAN module, so I bought one off eBay.

Sadly, it seems the wiring loom also lacks connectors for the LAN module, so now I'm on the lookout for a full dashboard wiring loom from a car that had the LAN module and steering wheel controls installed, so I can get the proper connectors...

• 3 weeks later...
Hopefully the insides of the LAN module are still of interest...

Yes, thank you very much! Wow, there's a lot of components on there, plus spots for several others that weren't populated.

Did you happen to take pictures of the other side of the PC board?

Archived