LegacyGT.com

Qustion about DP to CBE fitment

dr_sharp

Why would you weld the DP to the CBE??? :confused:

Are you trying to make it so no one else will ever want your DP? What if you go back to stock to sell the car? Can't sell a hacked DP.:spin:

What if you don't like the sound with the CBE? What if you want a 3" CBE?

If you are getting an ERZ Dp (I think you are), it will meet up with the catback in a very OEM manner. If you bury the catback/oem donut all the way in to the flange, tight bolts, into the dp it shouldnt leak, or will VERY little.;)

If it leaks, stick a fresh donut on. Otherwise, suck it up and just get a adapter or better yet...

Have the shop weld up an adapter for you instead of hacking your dp.:p

Well the magnaflow CBE is 3-in but it narrows to 2.5-in at that connection... I just have a hard time dealing with that... lol. If I did welding, I guess I would weld a 3-in. connecter onto the magnaflow after cutting off the 2.5 in connector. Doesn't it bother anyone else that you have two pieces that are each 3-in. diamter that are being reduced to 2.5-in. for a connection? I can't stand it!
lol

Well the magnaflow CBE is 3-in but it narrows to 2.5-in at that connection... I just have a hard time dealing with that... lol. If I did welding, I guess I would weld a 3-in. connecter onto the magnaflow after cutting off the 2.5 in connector. Doesn't it bother anyone else that you have two pieces that are each 3-in. diamter that are being reduced to 2.5-in. for a connection? I can't stand it!

I would absolutely cut the cbe and make it 3" over shrinking down your turboback.

Is your midpipe 3", or do you still have the stocker? If you have the stocker, I would just get the adapter (I use an adapter with a taper to it - just not the one in your link).

If you have a 3" CBE, then keep it 3" all the way through and remove any bottleneck.

Is your midpipe 3", or do you still have the stocker? If you have the stocker, I would just get the adapter (I use an adapter with a taper to it - just not the one in your link).

If you have a 3" CBE, then keep it 3" all the way through and remove any bottleneck.

^did not read the thread :lol:

So I cut the end flange off of the stock mid-pipe since I had no plans for the old exhaust system... this flange already tapers from 2.5 to 3-in. for the stock DP (3in) to midpipe (2.5in) connection. I stopped by autozone and picked up a 3-in diameter 18-in. length of steel exhaust tubing as well. I'm going to let the guys at awdtuning in Dallas give it a shot since torching / welding isn't in my book of tricks. I'm already going to be up there for a St Pattys party, I figured I'd get this fixed up and get a custom tune while I'm at it :D
lol

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of a newb question, but what's the point of the spring bolts? Is it supposed to allow for some movement of the dp/mid pipe junction?

I snapped the bolt off from torquing too tight, wondering if it's ok to just 2 regular bolts/nuts to replace them.

Spring bolts apply tension. Stock torque is 13f/lbs on the spring bolts. Too much torque damages the donut gasket and bends the thin OEM flanges. Spring bolts are supposed to alleviate this. Normal bolts are fine. I have used washers to take up the space betweeen flanges to stop the bend while torquing.

Archived