LegacyGT.com

Hi newbie here

Hi name is Mark. First time subaru owner and think its a great car until recently.I need some help. car started out as my $100.00 winter beater and now it has what I think is a fuel pump related problem. It started when I ran the car down on gas getting off the interstate one day. As I came off the exit ramp it bucked like it was going to stall but, it was like it just kind of burped and kept going. Well, i headed right to the gas station and put some fuel in it and all seemed well. Well, we were headed to NH about a few days later and it started doing the burping thing again so, we hit the next exit and put some red heet dry gas and some fuel to it and it seemed to be ok. it did it a few more times and yesterday on a trip I made it was doing it so bad I had to have it towed home. one thing i did do was to turn the car off as I was riding along and then turn it back on and it would be good for a couple of miles. That is why I think it is fuel pump related like it wasn't making enough pressure and this would boost it . I have already replace the fuel filter also. By the way it is a 96 Legacy L wagon with a 2.2 and 5 speed AWD. I hope someone can help.

Thank You

Sounds like a legit diagnosis... The fuel pump is easy to replace yourself on these cars. And deals on new/used pumps can be had on ebay, here, etc. Thats not a bad place to start. If it's not the pump, could be spark related.. are you getting a cel? Could be a bad coil, plug, failed wire, etc. But yea, what you describe is very likely a failing pump. By cutting it off, you allowed the pump to cool off, and it would work again for a bit. But its only gonna get worse.

Archived