LegacyGT.com

labor cost to install a tranny?

Hey I actually got a quote for this just the other day because I'm going to have to get the same thing done pretty soon. The local place that works on Subaru's where I live was going to charge me $850 for the whole deal. It breaks down to $400 for the transmission (It has 103,000 miles), $150 to have it shipped to where I live, and $300 for labor. Hope that gives you a general idea of what you are looking at!

Three hundred for labor is a very good deal. I had an axle bearing pressed out an a new one pressed in today. Take a wild guess at the charge...oh and I removed the axle and disassembled everything standing in the way of the bearing removal.

I was charged $67.50! Can you believe it? $ 67.50 to press a freaking axle bearing. I'm really starting to miss my shop.

wheel hub. and i knew cause my wheel had locked up. i swear if i would of never heard,felt,smelt,seen, what was happening when the tire looked up i would of never evever noticed. but at least im not blind, deft, and unable to small burning rubber

Mine was an axle bearing,but it wasn't on a Subaru.

I knew the bearing was going bad because I could hear it howling loud and clear from inside the car.

Most of the time a bearing gives plenty of warning before it fails. But if you have the stereo cranked all the way up,or the car has a loud exhaust system,you could miss the warning sounds very easily.

You'll know you need a new bearing somewhere when you hear the angry sparrows (it sounds like a bunch of angry birds chirping). For wheel bearings, lift the car off the ground and try to move a wheel around (not spin it). There shouldn't be any play in any direction.

And getting an old bearing pressed off and new one pressed on should never cost more than maybe $20 if you bring the parts to a local shop and have then do it while you wait for ten minutes.

Archived