LegacyGT.com

It's not a race it's a rally - Norcal Foothill rally

elib

Ok folks, here is a new thread to discuss a fun run/rally through the hills one day soon when the weather has dried a bit.

So far we have two possible directions to go.

1) off of highway 50 around placervillle

2) off highway 80 from auburn -> grass valley -> the woods.

I live at #2 but I'm willing to go to the best roads. I'll do some scouting and please chime in about your favorite roads. We should probably wait at least a few weeks to plan it so we can reliably get some dry weather.

Hmmm, grew up and spent many years in the Grass Valley area. Some good roads up there. In fact a great little run that the Z clubs used to do up there was the Highway 20/49 Bridgeport loop. They would start out of Nevada City on Highway 49 heading towards North San Juan, turn left on Pleasant Valley Road and head down to Bridgeport (one of the longest and covered bridges in the country, and one of the last few that are still standing). They'd break there at the river for a few, then head back out the other side of the canyon to Highway 20 down by Lake Wildwood, then back up to Grass Valley. Lots of windy tight road sections, some a little bumpy, some pretty smooth.

I would think we could leave enough space in between cars so we don't spray each other with gravel. I was hoping to have enough time to put up some signs along the way so we don't have to suck each other's exhaust to stay together.

Also, how about some walkie talkies to keep in contact? We will be out of cell coverage most of the time.

So what days work for everyone? Here's my free upcoming Saturdays:

3/20 -- Sacramento SCCA auto-x

3/27 -- Nada (AX in Marina but that is far away)

4/17 -- Nada

4/24 -- ESCA AX

5/1 -- Redwood PCA AX

Sundays are usually open for rest days, but if that's the only day this can happen, I'll come out then too.

I vote 3/27 or 4/17

Walkie talkies are pretty useful. So are scanners and radar detectors. :D

I have a digital trunking scanner. (And a 9500i)

Note that CHP uses microwave so scanners are useless against them. Local yokels only.

Personally, I'd try to avoid jackassery. CHP needs some money, and I don't want to help. And all these counties are absolute nazis.

I'm also pretty against dirt, myself.

Once again I'm up for whatever route we take, though I prefer to stay on the cement. It sounds like alot of people r shooting for a Sat run. I would have 2 know well in advanced to get it off. Any Sun is perfect, so if that can work-cool. Yes I've got a radar/laser detector & CB. I'm thinking late March or April, though I'd like to organize more of these in the summer.

Hey Eli, would you be up for a test run? I need to practice some dirt driving before RallyX on April 11.

If you're busy, could you let me know which roads are good to practice on? Or if anyone knows any in south bay, I'd appreciate it.

I've never been on a cruise with the Subie crowd, but I've been on a few the the bimmer crowd and there was always at least some jackassery.

theres always a crash on subaru club drives... seriously, everytime.

some kid that knowone knew showed up at one of the iClub Mt Hammilton meets and rolled down a hill. On the barryessa drive someone flipped. on a drive down in socal someone flipped and hit another car. and those are just the ones i remember off the top of my head.

group drives = devil

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

I've never been on a cruise with the Subie crowd, but I've been on a few the the bimmer crowd and there was always at least some jackassery.

One might hope the Legacy crowd could be a little more mature.

Don't invite any imprezas.

I did a number of group drives in MN and we never had any real problems. One guy broke the bead on a tire once.

One might hope the Legacy crowd could be a little more mature.

Don't invite any imprezas.

I did a number of group drives in MN and we never had any real problems. One guy broke the bead on a tire once.

yah the lgt/obxt/forrester cruise went well, but iirc, there was still an off... think someone cut a corner to close on the twisties. time to go thread digging

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

Archived