LegacyGT.com

whinning noise when driving

I have a whine which is dependant on engine speed, I did wonder if it was the steering pump but it doesnt seem to change as you turn the wheel. It wont do it when in park or stopped only when driving under load. Any idea? To be honest it sounds like a worn out brush on an electric motor running on the armature segments (for those of you who have had the brush collapse on their electric drill))

have a buddy rev the engine while you hold a stethescope or end of a screwdriver to different parts where you think the noise may be coming from. then you can narrow things down, but the way you described it, sounds like the alternator. triple check though haha

has a brand new alternator so it is not that, I think it is the tranny but I cant seem to put my thumb on it. and it only makes the noise when under a load and driving so I cant really test it like you mentioned. it makes the noise only when I accelerate with the car in drive (tried all gears except reverse same result) when the car is in park or nuetral and I rev it it does not make the noise, also car is starting to shake or vibrate just a little more than normal when in gear and at a stop but runs smooth when driving minus that damn whinning/rubbing noise?

• 3 years later...

My '92 does the same thing, it will whine under load, go silent when you let off the gas, until the trans starts slowing you down, then it will whine again?

I suspect it is front diff related, probably a bearing going out. Lots of posts about tranny noise. Most suggest replacing the entire front diff and trans as one unit from a junkyard. Seems like it might not be easy to seperate them, and seems pretty expensive to repair.

Here are a couple links

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=6367

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/no-r-r-front-diff-chilton-fsm-218094.html

Have you checked the oil level? passenger side, way down low, short yellow dipstick. Some here have suggested a special type of gear oil also, can't remember the name, maybe they will chime in. Otherwise just 75/90w gear lube.

Why don't you just remove the alt belt and if the noise goes away then it either the alt or pump. If the noises still there try removing the AC compressor belt just to make sure. Is the noise speed dependent or just rpm? Can you post a vid of the engine ?

has a brand new alternator it

only makes the noise when under a load and driving

it makes the noise only when I accelerate with the car in drive (tried all gears except reverse same result)

when the car is in park or nuetral and I rev it it does not make the noise

It wont do it when in park or stopped only when driving under load

Archived