LegacyGT.com

bearing went on turbo

I just picked up my 07 lgt last week, but i am getting frightened by all these horror stories i am hearing on here .. cars with less than 20000 mile seem like bearings on turbo are going, I hear there are problems with not enough oil going to turbo ? whats the deal .. Is this just getting blown out of per-portion? I never heard these problems when I had a wrx[ only tranny problems ]

blown out of proportion.

If you count every occurence, you would end up with a number <50. compare that to the number of legacies sold. Even if you double that, it's still a small percentage of cars sold, arguably lying within the realm of normal malfunctions and importantly, owner negligence, lack of maintainance, ect.

My vote: Real concern with any 05/06 Legacy over 60k miles. Far more than 50 cases of failed VF40 turbos on this forum alone. And I believe Unclemat had an official document from Subaru that as of ~2 years ago, the rate of failure on 2005 models was ~5% (partially or heavily due to their original oil change interval recommendations). (going off memory here)

Failure rates for 2007 models are still too early to determine.

Edit: Full disclosure - I am a worrier with my cars, especially about parts that have a tendency to take engines with them.

Archived