LegacyGT.com

Disable ABS for rallyx.

dmanaenk

My race car is a Kart. My tow car is my LGT wagon, which will probably out handle most of any LGTs out there. And since I don't track the LGT, I don't need big brakes.

As for the Kart, it has "four wheel" disks ( solid rear axle) and since the only time you need brakes, is at the finish line, I don't worry about proportioning:lol:

What I DO know, it that , from a race car stand point, proportioning is important. And I would never trust a butt dyno. The proportion should be biased to the front by 60-70% and sometimes more. If it is not that, then you are losing time per lap.

There is only so many pounds you can put on the front tires before they deform, in which case you lose traction. If you unload the rear enough . their traction is even less, hence, tail out. What you end up with is less traction at the front, less traction at the rear, in a great drift, ,not the fastest entrance or exit from a corner.

Now since you are in a counter steer mode, to prevent the rear from going too far out, and your are in an AWD car, the instant that you apply power you have just unloaded the front (getting more traction or getting push, depending on just how much you cranked the wheel ), loaded the rear (getting more traction) and now where are you.?

One would hope that your are pointed at the apex. If you are not, you will miss it every time.;)

Thanks for the impromptu lesson on how to drive a car. You really know a lot about how to drive at the track. You should start a thread with the title: How To Drive At The Track. That way your informative posts don't interfere with the topic of 'electrical / mechanical interference with abs but not ebd,' which is what this thread is dedicated to.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty new Z1 starspecs. I was very surprised at their grip in the rain. But on the one big braking section it was hit or miss. As soon as ABS kicked in you were screwed, you would lose about 1 sec of braking, and at 120 mph that meant you covered too much ground to then hit the corner properly.

You guys can talk to me all you want about better tires, better braking etc.... but it was legitimately very hard to threshold brake there. I could do it anywhere else on the course. Even the guys with trailered cars mentioned it was difficult. The pavement is very coarse, and it is hard to tell where the traction is. Complicating things, is this long straight is part of a drag strip, so doesn't have the traditional wet-line and dry-line that a normal road-course would have.

At BIR I was on worse tires in the rain, and I had no problems braking at 145 mph. It is just our local (and only close by track) that is a PITA.

Well in that situation, then you need to go slower in rainy conditions on that particular track. If you were racing your car, where every single lap counted, then you'd have a proportioning valve in there. I mean, I race with guys who run STi's in full race car drab and I've driven the Subaru Spec B Grand-Am car and that has the ABS and EBD and VDC still installed!

-mike

32019_129966857024079_106443396043092_230493_5396723_n.jpg.80316b94fb4c392b21cd1cda4abee676.jpg

Insightful words to say the least.:lol:

Sorry but it can't be raining every time you go to the track, so yes that's actually a good suggestion. Use those rainy days to practice your line. There is more to having a good track day than running a fast lap every lap. Treat those rainy days as test/tune days. I guess I'm just jaded after having done almost 10 years of tracking and instructing and racing, I don't feel I need to get every single minute on track at max speed. I look at those adverse conditions as a challenge for my own driving skills. I use those situations to build on my knowledgebase.

-mike

Sorry but it can't be raining every time you go to the track, so yes that's actually a good suggestion. Use those rainy days to practice your line. There is more to having a good track day than running a fast lap every lap. Treat those rainy days as test/tune days. I guess I'm just jaded after having done almost 10 years of tracking and instructing and racing, I don't feel I need to get every single minute on track at max speed. I look at those adverse conditions as a challenge for my own driving skills. I use those situations to build on my knowledgebase.

-mike

I totally hear you, but that is not the point of this thread, to tell us things we already know.

It was to try and fix something, some say it can't be done, some don't care, some just want to give unsolicited advice.................

I totally hear you, but that is not the point of this thread, to tell us things we already know.

It was to try and fix something, some say it can't be done, some don't care, some just want to give unsolicited advice.................

+1 billion. It amazes me such smart veteran race people keep on ignoring every request to stick to topic in favor of explaining all this information they carry. Then they get upset when they get insulted for defying the request. In every thread. Again and again.

"No ClimberdD you just don't get it, you don't have the experience I do and so I am doing you a favor to save you from testing ways to turn off ABS and keep EBD. I will keep telling you information until you finally acknowledge my knowledge and experience, and you don't have a choice but to keep seeing my educational posts pop up everytime you try to further uncover the stupid original thread topic that is not as good as my information."

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Then this thread should be in the technical area, NOT the racing area, if you don't want to hear about how racers deal with such problems.

-mike

OP addressed this too. His reason for putting it here was much to my point.

Archived