LegacyGT.com

Best Clutch for 2.2l legacy?

I need a new clutch and was wondering what clutch will last the longest considering i beat the hell out of my subaru? meaning dropping the clutch. (mostly on slippery surfaces or to power the thing extra sideways when hitting a corner. :) Actually that's a good trick for all you legacy rally lovers. if you have a manual 5 speed)

If when your powering around a corner your car starts to under steer or slid forward and act like a FWD car, (1st-3rd gear best) then push the clutch in and rev to top RPMs and drop the clutch while at full throttle WHILE turning and it will throw ur subi sideways into a real AWD subi pow drift thus eliminating your under steer problem possibly saving you from an accident. saved me a few times from hitting stuff:lol: this usually only happens on wet street when you come into the corner wrong....and yes my AWD works great. Does anyone else do this trick??? and whats that best clutch i can beat hard and last long?

I need a new clutch and was wondering what clutch will last the longest considering i beat the hell out of my subaru? meaning dropping the clutch. (mostly on slippery surfaces or to power the thing extra sideways when hitting a corner. :) Actually that's a good trick for all you legacy rally lovers. if you have a manual 5 speed)

If when your powering around a corner your car starts to under steer or slid forward and act like a FWD car, (1st-3rd gear best) then push the clutch in and rev to top RPMs and drop the clutch while at full throttle WHILE turning and it will throw ur subi sideways into a real AWD subi pow drift thus eliminating your under steer problem possibly saving you from an accident. saved me a few times from hitting stuff:lol: this usually only happens on wet street when you come into the corner wrong....and yes my AWD works great. Does anyone else do this trick??? and whats that best clutch i can beat hard and last long?

How long did the OEM clutch last you? If 40-50k miles of that kind of abuse, go oem/exedy.

probably 60-70k actually. i bought the car at 120k and its at 185k and still some clutch left. doesn't even slip really yet (unless i drop it on the street, which is dumb anyways with AWD, unless you have over 300BHP!). on top of that yes it's the stock clutch. never been changed. just rallied.

to the top 2 guys. (accidentally deleted my reply) Sorry i was guessing there was already a best clutch post somewhere. I heard Exedy clutches are great! and NO I'm not 16, but I do sound like it Huh?? I'm 22 and i have 2 Subarus. One 1st gen legy stock is my DD (that i treat very nice. the 2nd another 1st gen legy with a 97 phase 2 engine in it. my mountain goat beater!) I just like to have fun!:lol:

(no I'm not new to Subi's)

probably 60-70k actually. i bought the car at 120k and its at 185k and still some clutch left. doesn't even slip really yet (unless i drop it on the street, which is dumb anyways with AWD, unless you have over 300BHP!). on top of that yes it's the stock clutch. never been changed. just rallied.

to the top 2 guys. (accidentally deleted my reply) Sorry i was guessing there was already a best clutch post somewhere. I heard Exedy clutches are great! and NO I'm not 16, but I do sound like it Huh?? I'm 22 and i have 2 Subarus. One 1st gen legy stock is my DD (that i treat very nice. the 2nd another 1st gen legy with a 97 phase 2 engine in it. my mountain goat beater!) I just like to have fun!:lol:

(no I'm not new to Subi's)

I am running a Exedy Stage 1 clutch and 13lb LWFW from F1. I am pretty happy with the setup and am currently stage 2.5turbo. (fmic, full 3" turboback, etc)

Honestly, I think you would be foolish to spend MORE money on a clutch when OEM lasts 60-70k miles with your spirited driving. If anything, you are going to get LESS miles from a staged clutch. You don't have tons of pwr so you dont NEED more clamping force!

As far as OEM replacement, get an EXEDY OEM clutch. They make most of the automfr clutches anyway.

Are you 16? (younger?)

Must be. I used to do that shit too until I destroyed 5 cars in under 3 years.

Transmissions, engines, drivetrains, accidents out the ass, and speeding tickets.... Oh so many speeding tickets, and a suspended license later I learned my lesson. Sad part is I'm still working on getting my insurance down from 10 points and I've had a clean driving record for years now.

And bouncing the engine off the limiter at 40-50 MPH before dropping the clutch is probably one of the fastest ways to forcefully eject a CV shaft out of your car. I know this from experience. What's the point in stressing the car like that? It hurts the clutch, the transmission, the U-Joints, the CV-Joints, the tires, and potentially you if you take it too far (IE a flaming wreck/rollover into a tree).

Don't get me wrong, I am still an aggressive driver sometimes, and I do like to have fun, but I have more respect for the vehicles I drive and the people around me now. No more stupid shit. Occasional wheelspin, hard acceleration, and the rare fishtail/brakestand in the Pathfinder when nobody's around is all in fun and games when you're the only car on the road and there's nothing to crash into, but when you have to pay for crazy expensive insurance and new tires all the time you'll be wishing you just left the real car alone and bought Need For Speed: Shift instead.

just so you know i don't drive crazy in town. that's just dumb. i only rally dirt roads in the mountains or mud pits/dirt pits where i go with other subi fans and have rally sessions. i also have a friend who has property and bulldozed a perfect dirt rally track which we go up to alot. soo fun. fun times and we are always safe. seriously i drive the DD subi most the time which i treat nice and don't even ever bring over 4,500 rpms or slid around corners or anything. and no tickets. and sorry but i don't care about trashing the beater subi....I bought it for $600 off friend who was in need. it's why it's the beater! to have fun! not to mention i love to work on cars. especially these cars. too easy.

Archived