LegacyGT.com

Bilstein BTS kit group buy...?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checking in - sorry for the wait.

I've pretty much gone through all my potential contacts for the JDM BTS kit and the best i can see is the offer from HKC for $1800 shipped to your US address. There is no group buy. If you are interested, contact HKC directly.

As for my involvement, i'm going to step out for a moment but i certainly hope that the collective here will crack this thing and get some decent suspension options in the USA for us!

Does that include all the parts, including top hats, etc?

I just noticed Japanparts now has a sku# for a kit for 2.5 and 3.0 Outbacks but currently lists for about $2000 - and probably is missing some of the misc. parts

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=1&car=141&middle=3&small=9

I'm definitely still interested in this, but not soon (I'm leaving the country for several months, starting next month), and I'm also very price sensitive (broke)...

I'm interested in fixing my OBXT's suspension for $500 or even $1,000, but $2,000+ is simply too much for me.

I just noticed Japanparts now has a sku# for a kit for 2.5 and 3.0 Outbacks but currently lists for about $2000 - and probably is missing some of the misc. parts

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=1&car=141&middle=3&small=9

Looking at this link, wouldn't the first suspension option "for Turbo" be for the XT, or is that only for the Legacy wagon?

Of course, it costs about $2,700, which is way too rich for my blood...

Bimmer

Has anyone approached Bilstein USA recently? I'm guessing that in the end we would have about 8 to 10 serious buyers. Based on previous postings, I doubt they will do anything, but worth the a shot.

I just did and no dice. They basically told me that there isn't enough demand to justify building a kit here in the US.

He also said that they have been getting a few calls lately requesting Outback parts but that still there are no plans to make one.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/rdvehicles.php

Who wants to call? :D It should be someone with better communication and marketing skills than I can offer.

this has to p*ss you off....finding this after the fact: Bilstein suspension

• Winning bid: $350.00
  • http://legacygt.com/images/NewSearchCards/LVIcons/reserveMet.gif Reserve met
  • Closed: Sat 13 Mar 2010, 7:28 pm
  • Listing #: 276731337

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/tq/76/120636276.jpg

Photo 1 of

http://legacygt.com/images/listing/mag.gifView full size photo

http://legacygt.com/images/1pixel.gif

Fits Outback/Legacy 3rd gen models (2005-2009) BP9 and BPE models. This suspension is in perfect condition!

Front struts VE3-3109 RJ-LJ 40mm shafts!

Rear struts BE5-3110 J

Comes with 2 sets of springs 13.5 and 14mm wire.

This suspension with the heavier springs sit at the standard ride height so would not affect access to dodgy skifield roads.

hhahha I just googled ''Outback Bilstein suspension'' and it was like the first or second choice.

One thing is ''Outback 2.5i''.......don't think there is a difference between the XT and the 2.5i. But 3.0R yes.

hhahha I just googled ''Outback Bilstein suspension'' and it was like the first or second choice.

One thing is ''Outback 2.5i''.......don't think there is a difference between the XT and the 2.5i. But 3.0R yes.

You can ignore these differences.

$2000? Seems MUCH more expensive than what M.S. paid in his intro post...
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

$2000? Seems MUCH more expensive than what M.S. paid in his intro post...

It's not $2,000.

It's $2,090, plus $207 shipping, so it's really almost $2,300...

Of course, if there were 10 of us, then we could do it for $1,678 each, plus shipping (so, still less than $1,900).

I'm on the fence again...

Everytime I think about fixing the suspension, I get excited.

Then, every time I think of putting something like $2Gs into a rapidly aging car (instead of putting it towards a down payment on something else), I reconsider again.

Bimmer

I'm more curious than interested. I've already got a set of coilovers. But I'm interested to hear about the ride quality of these. I'd LOVE a set for winter, but can't justify more than $2k just for struts and springs. Maybe if they were Ohlins, but not for Bilsteins. That is just INSANE!
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Here's my summary of the latest on the JDM BTS kits:

• Best price right now is with HKC for $1800 delivered to your USA address, with the possibility of a small refund at the discretion of HKC, dependent on currency and individual actual shipping costs at time of order.

• I have one possibility with a contact in Japan i need to follow up with, but i'm not holding my breath on it being much cheaper. Will post ASAP.

-Branden

I'm interested in the Bilstein suspension setup.

Just to be sure - Is the kit from HKC exactly like the one M. Schneider installed on his car? If so, the part numbers that he provided for the extra installation bits are the right numbers, which is good to know.

If my participation in a group buy will drive the price below the $1,800 (delivered) quoted by HKC, I'll join the group buy.

Otherwise, I'm inclined to contact HKC for the most current information and do a deal.

What's the latest word on the group buy?

I'm interested in the Bilstein suspension setup.

Just to be sure - Is the kit from HKC exactly like the one M. Schneider installed on his car? If so, the part numbers that he provided for the extra installation bits are the right numbers, which is good to know.

If my participation in a group buy will drive the price below the $1,800 (delivered) quoted by HKC, I'll join the group buy.

Otherwise, I'm inclined to contact HKC for the most current information and do a deal.

What's the latest word on the group buy?

It's the exact same kit as Mike's but you will need to source some other parts for it to fit our USDM Outbacks (read this thread from the beginning to find that info).

There is no group buy for the HKC deal - if anyone is ready to pull the trigger on it, just contact them directly. Because of fluctuating exchange rates and shipping, the price may have changed (it's been over a month since i contacted them for that quote). As of now, this looks to be the best deal, outside of directly sourcing the kit from Japan yourself.

The rhdjapan.com "group buy" prices are no special deal at all - even if 20 people were in on it, the resulting price would be the same or more than HKC's quote (rhdjapan price does not include shipping).

OK, I'm confused - does the HKC package include tophats, etc?
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Does anyone actually know the difference between the 5056J and 5058J kits from Bilstein? Possibly valving of the front struts?

The 3.0R is much closer in weight to the 2.5XT. Almost identical, actually.

OK, I'm confused - does the HKC package include tophats, etc?

Here is the parts list supplied by Mike:

Parts list:

1ea. JDM Bistein BTS-5056J. www.hirano-tire.co.jp - Export divison; exportdivision@hotmail.com (the Company regularly advertises 128,370 Yen for the BTS 5056J Kit)

2ea. USDM SpecB top hats, 20320AG01A. local.

2ea. USDM SpecB dust cap 20320AG000. local.

2ea. JDM rear shock perch 20370AG010. www.japanparts.com

2ea. JDM rear rubber upper 20375AE011. www.japanparts.com

If I'm following this correctly,

Item #1 is the suspension kit identical to the one available from HKC.

The top hats, dust caps, shock perch and rear rubber uppers would be purchased separately. I've seen ~ $200 mentioned as the cost of those items.

Here is the parts list supplied by Mike:

Parts list:

1ea. JDM Bistein BTS-5056J. www.hirano-tire.co.jp - Export divison; exportdivision@hotmail.com (the Company regularly advertises 128,370 Yen for the BTS 5056J Kit)

2ea. USDM SpecB top hats, 20320AG01A. local.

2ea. USDM SpecB dust cap 20326AG000. local. (not 20320AG000)

2ea. JDM rear shock perch 20370AG010. www.japanparts.com

2ea. JDM rear rubber upper 20375AE011. www.japanparts.com

If I'm following this correctly,

Item #1 is the suspension kit identical to the one available from HKC.

The top hats, dust caps, shock perch and rear rubber uppers would be purchased separately. I've seen ~ $200 mentioned as the cost of those items.

I'm doing the same as DiscoPete and going with the 5056 kit. Note, there's a typo on the p/n for the dust caps. Mike has the correct p/n in his thread, but listed the wrong one. I can confirm b/c I have all the parts already. Just waiting to pull the trigger on the BTS kit.

I'm doing the same as DiscoPete and going with the 5056 kit. Note, there's a typo on the p/n for the dust caps. Mike has the correct p/n in his thread, but listed the wrong one. I can confirm b/c I have all the parts already. Just waiting to pull the trigger on the BTS kit.

Thanks for that corrected information.

Many things popped up when I Googled HKC. I want to be sure that I have the right supplier in mind. The most likely of the bunch was www.hkc-speed.com/

Is that the place?

Why the 5056 instead of the 5058?

Why the 5056 instead of the 5058?

Pls. feel free to email Bilstein Japan for an absolute answer although my chicken shite guess is the two kits take into account the weight difference of the two Outback vehicles. In my world the BTS 5056J is aligned with the JDM 2.5 4cyl model and the BTS 5058J kit with the ever so slightly heavier JDM 3.0 6cyl model car.

If I recall the USA 2.5 turbo 4 cyl with its slight additional weight was inbetweenst the JDM 2.5 (normally aspireated) and the JDM 3.0 motors. I dunno go firgure.

My .02 is either kit will transform the driving charactor of the USA Outback. The stock KYB arrangement is shamefull.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |