LegacyGT.com

1990 Legacy

Hi everyone I just got my first subaru. I bought I as a winter car for $400. I gotta say this is the best $400 car I've ever drove the all wheel drive works great, it has very nice ride, lots of power. One of the things not working is the speakers only work on right side front and rear. If I push on the face of the radio the left side will start working but only temperery. Since the radio is above the radio I think it may have stuff spilled on or in it few too many times. Anyone else had this problem?

Similar issue with mine. My front speakers were the only ones that would work unless I punched the dashboard or cranked the volume. I found out I had to punch the dashboard to make them work one day in a furious rage. A cheap standard radio will screw right in, but you need to find a clever way to cover the open slot (Since the factory radio is larger than aftermarket radios, but not quite as big as a double din). If you decide to go that route I can help you out with the wiring, since the online how-to's are all wrong and you might mess up the radio if you use them (I found out the hard way). It doesn't help that the wires change colors halfway between the radio and the speakers. When it's all hooked up you just need to listen to the sound and make sure the speakers are in phase for best audio performance. If they're not in phase, just reverse the suspected speaker wire to correct the problem and put the speakers in correct phase.

There are kits available for a radio wiring harness and an install kit that takes car of the opening, but they're not easy to find. I can find you a link for the dash kit if you need it. I had the same problem with my factory radio until I replaced it. Congratulations on finding a good cheap car. I also got mine dirt cheap and am pretty happy with it.

I did mean “cup holder over the radio”. I haven't taken any pictures yet; it’s not much to look at. But I sure do like the performance from the engine, feels like a lot more than a 4 cylinder. I’m doing to try to take the radio out this weekend and fix it. I’m sure it’s just a loose or shorted contact. One other issue I have with the car is the ABS light is on aside from replacing wheel speed sensors one at a time I’m not sure how to find the problem.

hey man. before you really try and fix that stock radio. those radios are CRAP. C-R-A-P! O.K. check this. mine started doing the same thing. some speakers would work on and off. found out it's the connection of the connector at the back inside the headunit. basically unfix-able unless you want to take apart and re solder. I even tried going to a local junkyard and buying the same stereo from other 1st gen legacies.....guess what.....they all did the same thing. I bought 3 of the same radios hoping they would work since it was only 10$ and i could return if it didn't work which i did, because they ALL did the same thing. the stock 90-94 radio blows hard....just go to a cheap stereo place or walmart and spend $30-$40 on a brand new CD player that usually has a MP3 Line in for Ipods SICKY instead of wasting your time. I love subaru....But screw those stereos!!:icon_chee

Archived