LegacyGT.com

Changed my brakes, now they vibrate...

TovarishGruzin

OP,

I had this exact same problem on my car. After a lot of research, I found out that the stock Subaru rotors are really prone to "warping" and extra material deposit. It had something to do with how quickly they corrode.

I ended up just swapping out the rotors ( ordered some cheap ones from RockAuto.com ), and the problem was fixed.

But ya, the shaking was VERY bad. I personally wouldn't pay to resurface the old rotors. The new ones were quite cheap.

-Z

It seems like according to everyone here and my friends, buying new rotors is the most logical thing to do. Guess that's what I'll do.

Thanks to everyone for the input and help. I'll look at your links on DIY brakes. Oh, and I found the FSM.

So... I guess I should start a new topic asking what are the cheapest rotors that are better than OEM, sigh. lol

I've too have never had much luck with resurfaced rotors. I had it done once, and the brakes were good, but only for about 5K miles. Ultimately, the rotor needed to be replaced. I have a hard time paying a second time for the original rotor. If money is coming out of my pocket, I prefer to spend a bit extra and get a brand new part. That's just me.

Having grown up and live in the tri-state area, I know that you have to be VERY careful of shady mechanics and faulty work. It's an expensive area to live in and everyone is out to make a buck, even if the consumer gets the wrong end. Not to say it's very different anywhere else, but I've found the people in the city to be the worst offenders. It also probably taught you not to get work done 540 miles away (round trip).

Learn how to do brakes yourself - save a ton of money, get it done right, and get the satisfaction of a job well done. It's really not very hard. It'll take some reading on the forums to know what parts you want to order and then check out some of the awesome DIY walkthroughs on the board. It may seem intimidating, but it's really pretty simple step by step.

Learn how to do brakes yourself - save a ton of money, get it done right, and get the satisfaction of a job well done. It's really not very hard. It'll take some reading on the forums to know what parts you want to order and then check out some of the awesome DIY walkthroughs on the board. It may seem intimidating, but it's really pretty simple step by step.

It's not just that.. the only tools I have here is a hammer and a philips screw driver. lol. And I can't imagine changing brakes and rotors on a jack, and even if I could imagine it, I can't do that either coz my backyard is all dirt, no concrete surface :(

Archived