LegacyGT.com

Taillights/ Brakelights problem

Well,

I have an original owner 99Legacy L Sdn. 2.2l 5spd.

221,000 Miles and now when I step on the brake pedal, the trunk taillights and spoiler mounted LED 3rd Brakelight go dark and the Taillights and brakelights mounted in each rear quarter DO work (all 4 work as running lights prior to depressing the pedal.) Can't figure where to fix this to find the fault.

Any ideas?

BTW: Brakes also seem to be vibrating under med+ pressure (thought was warped rotors, but) & ABS light seems to come on/ go off since taillights issue came up...?

COULD these be related, Looking for help and can't quite afford a blank check to the mechanic at this time, so If I can narrow it & fix it, I'd be HIGHLY thankful.

Any experiences w/ this?

Appreciate it-

Mike

I would start with checking for bad grounds in the lights. Use a circuit tester and find a good ground and see if the light in the tester acts the same as the lights on the car.

I wouldn't think that it has anything to do with your brakes vibrating but I would start with testing the wires.

Maybe someone else has more information?

Yah check wires. It sounds like there might be a small short somewhere, and when you compress the brake pedal, the increased volts/watts going to the bulbs are shorting somewhere. Can't be 100% sure without being there of course, but always check the cheap and simple stuff first. Lol. Goodluck!

Figured I'd check grounds & harness as first step- but saw a clip on Chevy Trucks w/ Bad ABS controller causing constant pedal Pulse too-bad relay in the control module- thought it might be related...or maybe I just have two issues going on. Can't remember last time I had to change a brakelight bulb..... Thought maybe this was a problem others had seen, as I originally thought the LED bar had gone bad w/ the excessive mileage, but then as I was able to get more help to check I got to where I am now. Thanks for the suggestions. Wiring is bundled up so nicely, I can't tell where it's packaged versus mounted to the body without pulling it all apart I guess.

Gotta find the Chiltons manual and check the harness routing & mounting points.

-I'll let you all know what I find.

Once I get to it this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Eureka!

Problem solved- I unwrapped the harness leading to the trunklid, and found a browned and partially melted part to the connector plug on the groundwire terminals on both sides.

I abandoned the ground going into the main harness, cut back and spliced in a new leader to the trunk subharness, and grounded it to the support crossmember for the trunk lid torsion springs. problem solved- taillights, brakelights & LED work fine now.

Tested wiring for excessive heat by pushing down on brake pedal w/ window squeegee placed between drivers seat & waited 5 min.- No heat in wiring (new or old).

Thanks for the tips, just wonder if dielectric grease in the connectors will prevent other leads from overheating as it gets older?

- Mike

Archived