LegacyGT.com

exhaust e-cutout?

quick4dr

if i added a e-cutout to my soon to be installed erz dp, would i gain anything from it? or does it have to be tuned for it? QTP makes the dp with them installed but i can have one welded in no issue. im looking more for the sound factor...

you could definately see some good gains from running open downpipe, but im not so sure they would be that great with the stock turbo. If the rest of the system is stock, then maybe a 10hp difference over a standard catback, but probably not even that much.

The real advantage to it is if you have a bigger turbo that really chokes out on the exhaust side from the pipes

If you're using it to bypass a cat, yes, it should improve power.

I'd think that it would be worth it to have your tuner look in to how much differences there may be, in terms of airflow, to see if a different map may be necessary when you're running with the cut-out closed (i.e. with ehxaust going through the cat).

If you're either already catless post-turbo or are running it after the cat., you'd be doing it only for the sound - the difference in terms of power freed would be minimal at "Stage II," particularly if you've got a rather free-flowing cat-back installed.

A while ago, Team23Jordan, IIRC, put his then "Stage II+" LGT on the dyno, and ran a back-to-back. The difference in observed was within the possibility of simple intra-run variation.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I fail to see the desire for "loud". A POS rust bucket with the mufflers falling off is loud. There is a huge difference between a motor that is "loud" and one that is "healthy".

Cut outs are for kids and old men with hot rods. If you have the engine, you don't need cut outs. If you are trying to impress someone, your going after the wrong crowd with that "loud" approach.

I find it cool on a blown 427. Not a 2.5l. I guess I'm just old. Our motors are snappy, yet smallish. The note is not deep enough to say "look out I am bad ass". It just kind of says "hey look at me I have a small dick".

Maybe I have woken up to the sound of too many race engines and the smell of too much burning fuel. My mind could be warped from the fumes?

^ Nah, it's just that your perspective is different. ;)

It's like me and my buddy.

I think that this 2.5L Boxer has the best sound of all the 4-bangers I've had - all my buddy does is laugh and say that it's like his big-block with a head-cold. :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Msprank you make me laugh. ....

you're old dude... jk :)

^ As our building's master carpenter likes to say to me:

"No, son, not old - just older." ;)

I ain't no old fart. Last one smelled damn fresh to me.

I just sound more and more like my dad these days. Makes me realize that many of the forum member are about the same age I was when I started modding the first cars I owned. Memories, I guess. If I have them I must be getting old, lol.

I ain't no old fart. Last one smelled damn fresh to me.

:lol::lol:

to each their own. I agree a 69 vette 427 with side pipes and dumps sounds sick, or an old hemi cuda, or even SVT lightning with the blown 5.4 And any diesel sounds sick from the start (specialy jake brakes on a Peterbuilt. To me its all about the custom edge, doing work myself and the satisfaction of having something different. I hate ricers just as much as the next real tuner, but I also appreciate people who do their own work to make a car their own.

I have a DMH cutout and I love it. I have a cobb catted DP (modified so it stays at 3"), then X02 midpipe, the 3" cutout is right after the resonator, then stock mufflers. I know that placing it after the cat doesn't really give me any gains (I've logged back to back and its like 5 g/s difference). But having it after the resonator really gives it a deep rumble, really does not sound like a 4cyl, a lot more like a V8.

I had the X02 cans prior and it was just a little too loud when cruising at 70+mph. Now I can be stock quiet on the freeway, and open it up at a moments notice. Its fun to see the look on the mustang guys faces at stoplights when I open it up:icon_twis

^ I've been thinking more and more of that, too.

How long have you had your cut-out?

Part of me is worried about the durability/reliability. Particularly given my area's harsh winter chemical road-treatments.

----

to each their own. I agree a 69 vette 427 with side pipes and dumps sounds sick, or an old hemi cuda, or even SVT lightning with the blown 5.4 And any diesel sounds sick from the start (specialy jake brakes on a Peterbuilt. To me its all about the custom edge, doing work myself and the satisfaction of having something different. I hate ricers just as much as the next real tuner, but I also appreciate people who do their own work to make a car their own.

That's exactly my thinking, too.

It would be boring, as a car-guy, if everyone simply drove cars that "I liked."

FWIW, I like the variety, and as long as it's done right (although I'm a DIY greasemonkey wrench who loves to get under and inside the car, I've come to realize that it's not always possible, and that some people really do pay for labor, simply for the convenience of it), I'll give the guy in the next lane the thumbs-up, whether he's got a monster-truck or a rice-burner.

It's all good to me. :)

Over the course of the last year, the only person whom I completely brushed-off was an idiot - and by that, I mean moron - kid (I have nothing against kids, I firmly believe in cultivating the next generation, from toddlers to teens, I'm always happy to take the hands of anyone who would like to come in to this hobby) in a rather nicely decked-out previous-generation Hundai, who thought he was impressing me with his little clutch/brake dance. :rolleyes:

It's that kind of stuff that gives all import tuners a bad name. :(

^^I've had it in about 6 months now. I went with DMH based on good reviews over on nasioc, and they have a 4 year warranty. MN winters are harsh, and a lot of salt on the roads. I use it pretty much every day, drive in to work its closed, leave work and open it up, great stress reliever:)

^ Cool man, I'll check back with you next year and see how it's going. :) That's good to hear that it's holding up!

Archived