LegacyGT.com

95 2.2L MT replace 96 2.2L AT ? emissions ???

zzGUY46

Hope someone may know this..... I have a 2.2L engine from a 1995 Legacy with manual transmission......I had it installed in my 96 Legacy 2.2L using its auto transmission. Everything works great except passing the NYS emissions test. I get a CEL code P0400, EGR malfunction. The 95 MT intake has no EGR system. The 96 AT intake has all the EGR system. Can I solve the problem by putting the 96 AT intake on the 95 MT block? Where does the gas come from to recirculate? Is it something thats on the 95 MT block or exhaust that may be there but not connected or being used? I want to make it legal.

Hope someone may know this..... I have a 2.2L from a 1995 Legacy with manual transmission......will it work in my 96 Legacy 2.2L with auto transmission? In other words, can I use the intake, ECU, and emissions on 96 to work (WTF Does that mean???) and pass inspection? Is there an outlet on 95 block that can be used to work 96 emissions? The motor is in and working in car, but now I have to fix emissions to pass inspection...I know stupid me?

What the Hell are you talking about???

If you're asking if it's possible to put a '95 2.2L stick shift engine in a '96 2.2L auto car then yes, it is totally possible. If you're planning on leaving the transmission alone then it's a very simple swap. All you need to do is install the engine and hook up the wires. If you're trying to swap the engine AND transmission from the manual transmission car then it gets complicated.

What exactly are you trying to do...... In English...... If we know what you're doing we can figure this out. If you're just switching the engine then it's easy, but if you want to convert the transmission too it's going to get more difficult. Iff it's engine only just make sure to swap the flex plate onto the crank of the donor engine, The emissions equipment are the same. If the car starts and drives it will pass emissions as is (Providing the donor engine has a clean bill of health). The engines are exactly the same from 95 tom 96. It's the computer and all of it's wiring that's different. The auto computer is different from the stick shift computer.

I had the 95 MT engine installed on my 96 AT, it runs great. The 95 MT motor had no EGR system. The 96 needs the EGR to pass inspection. Its all about the intake. Can the 96 intake be installed on the 95 block and get the EGR to work?? Is there a port or something that needs to be on the 95 block to make the EGR work ?? It needs to recirculate gases from somewhere? Where does it come from ? I thought my mechanic was a bit smarter than me, now I have to find the answer. Another mechanic says he has to take the intake off to see if it has what it needs to hook up EGR system.

Is this what I should be looking for ??? Got this from another forum... "The EGR valve also has a metal tube that disappears down the back of the engine to the exhaust port on the #4 cylinder."

Thanx for any help

Archived