LegacyGT.com

oil return line under turbo

I replaced the blown turbo in my 06 LGT and thought I had everything set after a number of issues were overcome (including torn air inlet hose)

So I fired that sucker up and it sounded ok but had a burst of blue smoke.

Took it up the street and got good boost but a ton of smoke.

Long story short, I found that I did not get the oil retun line under the turbo on right.

sigh....

Someone tell me if I'm wrong but it looks like i have to pull of the turbo to get that badboy back on....

I think you can get at it by removing the downpipe and some of the heat shield...

I had a similar problem on the oil inlet and ended up adding a hose clamp. The hoses seem to take a set over time and so they don't seal properly once they are removed.

Good luck!

Yeah, I wasnt sure what was but it dumped out quarts of oil so whether its a drain or return, I gotta fix it.

It has the whimpiest little hose clip on it. I'll go get a proper one and try to get at it by just removing the downpipe and sheilds.

Thanks guys!

took off the downpipe and heat shield around around it. I can reach it but no way I can get the hose on. There is no room for any sort of play.

sigh... gonna have to take the turbo off.

Well, atleast removing the downpipe was not wasted effort as it had to come off anyway..

Yeah, it's a huge PITA to get to that hose. You've got to be sure it's in place solidly before bolting the turbo in all the way.

Just about everything else on this engine is ok to work on but the return line is needlessly hard to deal with.

I can reach it with DP in, without an EWG in the way, with a long handle plyers, provided the hose is somewhat seated. I pop my head up near the DP, and reach from the back of the car forward. But yes, very very big pain, lots of swearing.

Edit: No heat shields or cats in the way on my DP.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 1 year later...
OP, you may want to replace the oil drain line with a new one. they tend to get old, hard and crack when really old. I replaced mine in Aug when I put the new turbo on. it was stiff. The new one was flexible.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've got a Toyota altezza, the vvti isn't kicking in at 5000 revs when I step on the gas fully but goes in fine if I don't fully gas it. Does anyone know why? I've tried changing the spark plugs and coil packs already!

You need a new hamster modulator

Archived