LegacyGT.com

how do i get the torque converter back in 2003legacy

17juggalos_in_a_gt_wagon

ok i am putting a new motor in my car when i took the old one out the torque converter came out with it ,i have got it back in most of the way but it lacks bout 1 1/2 inch ,and the haynes book i got dont tell me sh*t plz give me advice

It is very important that the torque convertor is seated all the way in the tranny. If it is not you can destroy the oil pump in the tranny. You should be able to push and turn the tc until it seats completely. If it's not seated all the way the flexplate will come onto contact with the tc when you bolt the engine to the tranny.

On my 02 WRX 4EAT there is a "C" type clip that helps keep the TC from sliding out of the tranny by accident. It attaches to a sleeve that runs inside the input shaft.

It's a real balancing act to get everything lined up properly, you know you have it right when the TC seats into the bellhousing.

Check on NASIOC if no one has more info, there are a few threads there with pics on this.

if the torq converter is just sliped out a little 1in or so and hasnt come all the way out take it and turn it back and forth holding it as close to normal possition as poslible it should just kinda fall back in place with only slight pressure pushing it in....

the trick is to keep playing with it and be carfully it dosnt take lots of pressure to put it back in. if you have to pull it out look inside see where the two notches line up and carfully slide it back in. i dont like to pull them all the way out but sometime you have to. good luck take your time and all should end wlll

Archived