LegacyGT.com

Thoughts on the ERZ UP DP combo...

dr_sharp

Thinking of getting the catted DP and UP from ERZ... it seems like this is everyone's favorite with the only other contender being invidia...

How hard are these to install? These parts are moving into territory that I'm not familiar with.

Thanks

lol

They way I'm seeing it is really simple... just a few bolts at each end with some supporting mechanism in the middle, perhaps.

I'm assuming that the difficult part is getting to the bolts and then getting in a position to apply the necessary torque... is that an accurate assessment?

lol

They way I'm seeing it is really simple... just a few bolts at each end with some supporting mechanism in the middle, perhaps.

I'm assuming that the difficult part is getting to the bolts and then getting in a position to apply the necessary torque... is that an accurate assessment?

Pretty much. Some bolts will be really tight and not want to come off. If some are rusted out, be prepared to cut them off and replace them.

Its a little tricky too getting the stock UP out. I dropped the manifold and twisted it out without jacking up the motor, but some people jack the motor up a tiny bit to help get the UP out a bit easier.

If the only advantage of getting aftermarket pipes is for removing cats, then why would anyone want a catted DP? Are the pipes significantly different length? Or is the DP much more of a restriction due to diameter?

Thank you for the input guys, I appreciate it. Like I said, this is uncharted territory so I'm just trying to learn here.

lol

My ERZ UP with flex has been perfect for over 5 years.

The cat in a catted DP is a high-flow variety so it's less restrictive than stock. I run one just for the fumes; I don't care if it leaves a little power on the table.

you might be misinterpreting 'catted vs cattless'. catted dp's or the more precise is 'high flow catted' dp. some states have emissions laws, so therefore a catted dp is a MUST to pass inspections. performance wise is not much difference.

If the only advantage of getting aftermarket pipes is for removing cats, then why would anyone want a catted DP? Are the pipes significantly different length? Or is the DP much more of a restriction due to diameter?

Thank you for the input guys, I appreciate it. Like I said, this is uncharted territory so I'm just trying to learn here.

Wow you have 1300 posts and have not heard of the issues that can come up with pre-turbo cats and flex pipes? I am NOT bagging on you, just a bit suprised so let me give you cliff notes:

In 05-06 GT had a cat in the up, pre turbo. Cats break down over time and bits of it can go INTO your turbo. This generally means turbo failure at minimum and in some cases ends up in complete motor failure. In 07 the cat was removed from the up as it was only there to function when the car is first warming up. Flex pipes, in theory, can come apart and be sucked into the turbo. I am sure someone has had it happen, but I have only read about it.

As far as a catted vs uncatted dp, the debate can go long but ultimately catted is quieter and more expensive and we all know pollution is bad. Hiflow race cats wont make a performance difference in your case.

erz also makes u/p?! very interesting....

Based on the input of others in this thread, it seems that any LGT that is 07 or newer would not benefit from an UP since they are catless in newer Legacys... someone please correct me if this is wrong.

lol

Archived