LegacyGT.com

Inner tie rod help!

I had a thread somewhere. Anyways I the boot on my inner tie rod is torn. Im assuming since its been about 3-4 months since it's been bad I have to replace another part?

I keep getting confused when I look for parts. I can't seem to figure if I have the right ones to fix it or not. I'm afraid I need a new rack? But maybe not. Can someone link me parts from napa or autozone for what I need exactly?

I keep trying to get time to do the research on it but every time I do I see something different or hear another term and it just throws me way off.

Thanks!

Okay so I may have figured it out! I need a new Inner Tie Rod End and a Rack and Pinion Boot kit (to replace the torn boot.) Now does the new inner tie rod end come with the grease on it or do I have to go somewhere and get some new stuff?

Yeah, that side is simple. Trying to get the threaded portion out of the inner tierod is nearly impossible. That's why I'd save the headache, and the chance of destroying one end and just replace the whole thing while its out.

Either of you guys ever remove a tie rod end from a knuckle? I haven't done it on a Subaru, but in my experience that hammer ain't gonna do it. My advice for removing TREs is to get a pittman arm puller, and leave the nut threaded onto the TRE a bit so when it does break loose it doesn't go flying around.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=1752

• 1 year later...

I just pulled everything apart for a bearings and tie rod job and ended up ruining the boots on both ball joints. (I removed the entire knuckle and took it to a shop to R/R the bearings). Conclusion, don't use a pickle fork type separator! I am waiting for the rest of the tools and parts I need to finish up. I ordered the Lisle Tie Rod Remover before even trying with a vise grips. The wrong tool is the right way to F everything up.

I hear what your saying about the different names. The "tie rod boot" is AKA rack and pinion "Bellows boot". Also, not one shop can find the "Axle nut" , "Spindle Nut" that I need. What the hell else could it be called?

92 Legacy LSI

from www.advanceautoparts.com :

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage//742/mini/22190185_dor_615160_pri_mini.jpg

Dorman - OE Solutions Spindle Lock Nut

Part No. 615-160

Front; One-Time-Use Spindle Hardware - OE recommends replacing every time they are removed; Dorman - AutoGrade - Boxed

$8.98

• I Donated

Inner tie rod ends....piece of cake...as long as you have the proper tools.

To seperate the outer tie rod from the steering knuckle, simply hit the knuckle with a hammer. For those of you who say this doesn't work, you're not using the right kind of hammer. I use a 36oz Matco Ball Pien Deadblow hammer and it works like a champ EVERY time.

After you do this, you want to take the outer tie rod end off of the inner tie rod. Its as easy as unscrewing it off by hand. Be sure you loosen the jamnut before you take the outer out of the knuckle though.

Get an inner tie rod end tool. Not the shitty one that AutoZone rents out because it won't work on our cars. You need one like this

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=&item_ID=78740&group_ID=1627&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

You don't have to go through snap on or matco for it. There are generic ones available. But that tool is specifically designed to remove inner tie rods without damaging anything. I use mine (actually its the same one i linked) several times a week, and I've never once had a problem come of it.

Install in reverse order

take car to shop for alignment.

done.

btw - the rubber boot is called a "bellows boot"

edit - the above comment about a pitman arm puller will work. however I've personally always had good luck with the hammer. its quick and easy if you're using the right kind of hammer.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
wait...i just saw the date on the original post. WOW lol. I had originally looked at just the month and day lol. Didn't notice the year

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived