LegacyGT.com

My $130 grill! (cost of elbow grease not included)

Fantastipotamus

Same. :) If you can, a close up shot would be great.

I'm debating ordering the powdercoated version or just the plain silver and painting it myself. How glossy is the powdercoat?

The angle of the sun is making it a little tough at the moment, but you can see the center cutout anyways. Given how tight the mesh is, the fact that it's (the mesh) is black, AND I painted the inside rim black, not a ton of light gets in there. I can try to take a picture of it tonight using a flashlight to illustrate, but it's not very evident. What IS evident is how dirty the melting snow makes my car. :mad:

The powder coat is pretty glossy, certainly not mirror-like, but you can tell it's not flat black. I used a silver Sharpie to outline my cutout, and once I did all the bending I needed to, I ran around the outside of the mesh with the gloss black spray can I picked up, and it matched up perfectly. :) Oh, I ended up getting the powdercoat instead of painting it myself as I feel like the powdercoat is less likely to chip than the paint. I also picked up a small black touch-up paint, and after bolting the grill to the surround with 10 tiny bolts, I painted the screwheads black so they weren't visible.

IMG_0979-2.JPG.5fed4dff06970a93221a818c2e8128af.JPG

IMG_0980-2.JPG.00d730d55af464276c573edad570747f.JPG

untitled.JPG.b59b525b88c44f3fdd4b5b9275beadd5.JPG

Very nice close up, really appreciate it :) Looks great! How many screws did you use to secure it, and where?

Was just up in the Whites for a long weekend. Did some hiking in Franconia Notch and saw a Moose :)

"This is an adventure."

Very nice close up, really appreciate it :) Looks great! How many screws did you use to secure it, and where?

Was just up in the Whites for a long weekend. Did some hiking in Franconia Notch and saw a Moose :)

I used 10 screws, but that's probably overkill. You could probably get away with 2 on each side (instead of four). When I was doing the cutout, I left two 1.5" long x 1" wide (estimated) tabs on each of the side planes, and those are what I screwed through. Just got the tabs bent right, and got the grill then test-fit to where i wanted it, marked where the holes should go. I pulled the mesh back out, drilled the holes, made sure it all lined up, and fixed it down. The bolts were like 1/4" - 3/8" long, just one of the little plastic baggies from Lowes with 20 bolts & 20 nuts. :)

Nice! The very first time I took my Kawasaki KLR650 off-road, i was in the middle of turning around on some road that was too hardcore to be doing at night in the dark, and watching my failure from the woods was a huge moose cow.. She couldn't care less though, just turned around in the woods and walked off. :)

IMG_0976-3.JPG.0ede78fdaadd250ee3f6b250d1ae1a59.JPG

Archived