LegacyGT.com

When should I switch from my Potenza RE050's <-> Blizzak LM-22s

elib

Ok, I bit the bullet and I'm now the proud owner of two sets of stock rims for my 08 spec.B.

http://lauren.bottrell.org/wheels2.jpg

I've got the stock Potenza RE050's mounted on one set and Blizzak LM-22's on the other. My question to you fine folks is when do I want to switch back and forth. I've been driving on my snow tires for 2-3 weeks until I got my second set of rims yesterday. I had a 3 hour drive down to the valley this afternoon so I put the Potenzas back on. WOW is all I can say. They feel GREAT. Incredibly responsive, this is why I bought this car. Corners like a bat out of hell and never makes a peep while doing it. I want to keep them on since I get better mileage, better drive ability, longer life etc.

The downside is that it's currently raining and 38 outside at almost midnight, low will be 36. Tomorrow they are calling for a high of 45 and showers.

What tires would you want for a day like that? I've got a decent floor jack and an impact gun etc so I don't mind changing wheels when ever.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

p.s. Since I got REALLY squirley today before the rain started when I punched it into a left hand turn when I finally got my break in traffic with the snow tires on I might run with the summer tires in the cold rain and see if I can't push it to the other extreme. As long as I don't bend anything it's all just a learning experience.

p.p.s. My second TPMS computer is supposed to be at the dealership tomorrow. They said if it's not what I want or doesn't work they will take it back. I guess I need to leave the summer tires on since they have the TPMS sensors that need to get linked with the new TPMS computer. I'm still interested in when people think i should switch.

Where are you located? That'll make the biggest difference on when to change them (e.g. when does it get warm there)

In upstate new york, I put the snows on around thanksgiving or whenever the first snow happens and usually take them off when all threat of freezing is gone (sometimes not until April).

location, location, location.

You do not want to drive on summer tires when there is a chance for snow/ice.

In Europe they are using magic number of 7C (~45F). If temperature drops below this use winter, above use summer.

Do not forget that summer tires do not like cold and not only snow and ice.

Krzys

Where are you located? That'll make the biggest difference on when to change them (e.g. when does it get warm there)

In upstate new york, I put the snows on around thanksgiving or whenever the first snow happens and usually take them off when all threat of freezing is gone (sometimes not until April).

Yep, like everyone above said - it's all about where you are: as well as for keeping a lookout on your local long-term weather forecast.

Here in NE-Ohio, I typically start monitoring the forecast for snow and other freezing precip. by late September. Usually, my winter tires are on by the last week of October (just in case, say, Halloween coincides with unforeseen freezing rain or something, I don't want to run over any kiddos in my neighborhood! :p). My wife's car runs "all-seasons" for the other three seasons, and this year, with how mild it's been (with no snow, too), I didn't fit her winters until early December.

On the flip side, I typically wait until at least April before even thinking about putting the summers back on, as we tend to get unseasonal snow-storms here, late in the season. This past spring, though, I took a gamble, based on long-term forecasts, and switched in late March. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Mark, I know, it's funny huh? No idea what's the deal with the two colors. Either one of the sets is an odd ball or there are two colors for the different paint colors the spec.B was available in.

The rims are great. Hoping to get TPMS up and working tomorrow.

I guess I should have specified, I'm planning on switching between sets of tires every few days if I need to. I live in the foothills near Tahoe California. We are at 3200 ft elevation and have had 2 real snow falls so far this winter. Snow stuck around for a few days to a week each time. In between we have seen temperatures as high as the 60's.

I'm planning on switching to the snow tires when the forecast calls for temps of 40 and below. If I've got the summer tires on and it's cold, I just drive slow. For example it will dip down to 38-39 over the next few nights and then the lows will be up around 45 the next 5 days after that. That's at 3-4 in the morning, when I'm never on the road. I'll be keeping the summer tires on for at least a week. weeee!!

^ In your case, I'd only worry about "40-or-below and rainy."

It's really the freezing precip. that would have me worried. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived