LegacyGT.com

putting abs in a 91 legacy

hey guys,

i have a 91 legacy and i found the same car at a junkyard but this one has abs and mine doesnt i was wondering if i can take out the abs in the junkyard car and put it in my car. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know. Thanks.

It's a very tall order to install ABS on a non-ABS vehicle. You must get all 4 wheel sensors, the ABS solenoids, the ABS controller, any wiring that the car has, and some other things.

To install the ABS you will need to install all the parts, run new steel brake line all throught the car which involves removing the rear seat, all 4 wheels, and anything else in the way. It also requires some cutting/splicing of wires.

It's not worth it. Plus, early ABS systems like the one on the '91 Legacy are very, how should I say this... Primitive. They're not very effective. Good old fashioned threshold braking is better than an early ABS system like that. Threshold braking is superior to pumping the brakes in a non-ABS system. In most cases, pumping the brakes to avoid locking up the tires actually increases stopping distance as opposed to just squealing to a hault. Threshold braking is when you apply the brakes to the point where they almost lock up, and as the vehicle slows down the driver slowly applies more brakes, almost crossing the threshold from a controlled stop to a squealing stop. Minimum tire chirps let you know you're doing it right.

Early ABS systems like the Legacy are 4 channel systems, but they're not very smart, or very responsive. ABS works by first detecting a slide. Early systems are very bad at detecting slides. They're just not sensitive enough. After the slide has been confirmed, the ABS goes into action. The ABS toggles from applying full braking force (Which would normally lock the tire up) to no braking force at all. This pulsating application of braking force is supposed to slow the vehicle without giving the wheel time to stop completely while the vehicle is in motion. The wheel sensors in an early system aren't very accurate. The solenoids are also far slower, which means they can't provide the pulsating braking force nearly as fast as a modern system.

Save yourself the time, effort, and money and drive with caution instead of trying to install ABS. It's not going to be worth it any way you look at it.

Archived