LegacyGT.com

Best (scenic) route from LA to Idyllwild?

lgt_nube

I'll be driving down from the SF Bay Area in two weeks to LA then on to Idyllwild for a night then on to visit friends in Palm Springs. My choices from LA to Idyllwild seem to be I-10 to Banning then CA-243 to Idyllwild, or I-10 to CA-60 to I-215 to CA-74 to Hemet then on to 243 and Idyllwild.

Both ways are about the same distance. I should be leaving LA between 2 and 3 pm on a Wednesday. I'm really looking for the best mountain scenery. Any preferences for that?

I say go the Banning route. The Hemet route is mostly the dry side of the mountain and isn't as spectacular, IMHO. Then take 74 down into Palm Desert: the last stretch of that road is one of my all-time favorites! Have fun.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Thanks; the Banning route it will be. I had already decided to take 74 down into Palm Desert. I've been a short distance up that road from PD a few times in the past and always wanted to see what was on the other side.

I say go the Banning route. The Hemet route is mostly the dry side of the mountain and isn't as spectacular, IMHO. Then take 74 down into Palm Desert: the last stretch of that road is one of my all-time favorites! Have fun.

I see Oak Glen and Oak Glen Road, sort of a detour from Yucaipa to Beaumont via I-10 to Banning. Please tell me more about that drive in case I have time for it.

If you have lots of time you can go through Oak glen which will drop you into banning and you can continue over as you originally planned.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies. I went a week ago, driving from Banning to Idyllwild on Wednesday afternoon, staying the night, then driving on to Palm Springs via 74 and Palm Desert. I decided not to take the time to do the Oak Glen drive.

Idyllwild really is a special small mountain town with many artists and musicians as well as trained chefs. I spent three hours at Cafe Aroma sitting at the bar, drinking their very well-selected wine and eating great food, listening to very good live music from a couple who "dropped in" to play, and talking to the owner (retired professor of mathematics) and his wife who sat at the bar next to me. If I lived in Southern California, I'd spend some regular time there.

http://ruthvenphotos.com/palmsprings_feb2010/main_images/01-img_3680_std.jpg

Archived