LegacyGT.com

power window stuck

Can anyone tell me the best way to determine whether it's the switch or motor? I'm assuming it's one of those two, because I don't hear the motor at all. If it's the switch, I was thinking I should be able to jump a couple of wires to put the window up until I find a replacement switch. The problem is, I have no idea which wire or wires to jump.

edit: Also, will a '94 power window switch fit if that is the problem? There's one on ebay right now.

The '94 will fit no problems.

You will know if it's the switch if you take a multi-meter set to read DC voltage and put one probe on the motor wire and the other on an unpainted chassis part or bolt. If the voltage reads around or above 12V (Positive or negative, depending on how you orient the probes on the meter & which way you flick the switch) when you flick the switch, then the switch is good. If no voltage gets to the motor when the switch is thrown, it's the motor. You can also use a cheap battery tester like the ones from NAPA to test the switch. They're pretty much a 12V lightbulb that will illuminate if the circuit is complete.

Don't forget to try the switch both ways before considering the switch junk. There might be more than meets the eye....

One more question on this:

The car was left out during some unexpected snow with the window down a couple inches and the switches got wet. Now none of the windows work. I was expecting it to have blown a fuse, but I don't have a fuse labeled for the power windows. Which one is it? I was hoping to check the fuse, and then head down to the junk yard to try out the switch they have there so I can see if that's the problem, since my voltmeter isn't working right now to test anything.

Okay, I did some research, and according to the info I found, there's no fuse. There is a fusible link, but it's for the windows and seatbelts. Since the power belts work, I can assume that's okay. Apparently there is a relay mounted under the driver's seat. Since none of the window switches work, I'm assuming the relay is bad. Does this sound correct?

same thing just happened to my passenger window, except its stuck all the way down. i just wanna pull it up, i don't care about getting it working. i took the panel off and tried to move stuff around, but no go.

same thing just happened to my passenger window, except its stuck all the way down. i just wanna pull it up, i don't care about getting it working. i took the panel off and tried to move stuff around, but no go.

Is it just the passenger window that isn't working, or are they all dead? I'm about to go try and find the problem with mine.

You can bypass the switch and supply power to the widow motor. The positive and negative wires must both connect to the motors terminal connection for the motor to work. Holding one wire on the body of the motor and connecting one to terminal connection on the motor will not run the motor. If the motor runs down,reverse the wires. If you can not reach the motor to disconnect the plug for access to the terminals because of the windows position,you can either take the easy way out and splice into the wires close to the motor,or a little harder, but better for the wires, is to find a connection in the harness that you can unplug to gain access the motor wires.

Good luck and watch your fingers.

Just an update, I discovered a splice in the wire running to the power window motor that had come undone. I don't know how I didn't notice it the first time, but it was kind of hidden. I got the window working. The only problem now is that it's a little out of alignment. When I replaced the speakers, I forgot to check clearance with the window down, so when I rolled the window down, it pushed against the speaker. I added an extra spacer to fix that problem, but my window catches a little when it's rolling up, and I have to physically help it along the last inch or so. I can see that it has a slight til to it until I pull back on it a little by hand. If anyone can give me some pointers on how to adjust it a little to get it running smoothly, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

i took it to a mechanic and he did some weird trick with the buttons and got it up in 5 seconds. i just turned on the window lock and am never touching it ever again hahaah

Archived