LegacyGT.com

Fuel Filter

OK, I'm assuming the fuel filter is in or on the gas tank. ('05 Legacy 2.5i Limited Sedan) Owners manual says replace it at 60k. Found only one online, and that was listed for $70. Is there a less expensive place to get these, or am I missing something?

I don't think a filter would pick up anything not already caught by the "sock" filter on the fuel pump. Many cars now have this design because it's pretty difficult to get garbage with your gasoline fill-up these days. I doubt anyone will say they had a failure due to the sock filter being plugged.

Dang, that seems a little stupid to me. I've replaced them on other cars and it's easy as pie.

Other cars are other cars, it has nothing to do with it. The fuel filter is a non-serviceable part unless you run into issues. However, if there is an aftermarket replacement I'd be interested to do it when I upgrade the pump, just because. Our ex-Focus called for fuel filter replacement every 30K miles IIRC :lol:

You'll hear dealers try to sell the fuel filter service as part of 60K I believe. If so, ask them if they will be scrubbing the inside of your gas tank while they are at it :lol:

Archived