LegacyGT.com

Missing Centercap...covered?

SlickSpur

Because it may not have just fallen off. Someone may have stolen it or knocked it off.

If you get a flat, do you complain to the dealer? If you hit a curb and rip off the undertray, who's fault is that? Subaru's for making it too low?

It's most likely that the OP hit a bump and it flew off. Stuff happens, deal with it.

It'd be different if the door handle popped off when you pulled on it. Or a sideview mirror fell off while adjusting the mirror.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Just because it 'could' have gotten stolen, Im not going to assume that happened. If their centercaps fall off because I hit a bump, then thats not very good quality; therefore, it should be replaced so long as Im under bumper to bumper warranty.

The effects on the vehicle of hitting a bump in the road should be accounted for by Subaru engineers, dont you think? people do this multiple times whenever they drive their car. I wouldnt liken it to the effects of someone driving their car over a curb.

All my wiper fluid is missing. I don't know how it happened. I demand the dealership replace it under warranty.

If the centercap had gone missing within a couple hundred miles of you receiving the car... ok, whatever. But once you start driving a car, stuff happens. If the windshield cracked from a rock, are you gonna demand they replace that too? What about door dings and paint chips?

The wheels and tires probably take the most abuse of anything on the car. Stuff is gonna happen to them and it's not Subaru's fault.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I can understand a wheel cover coving off from hitting a big pothole or curb, but a center cap???

I have to push mine out from the back side of the wheel and they are on there pretty snug.

I suppose its possible the wheels were off the OP's car (maybe for balancing?) and the tech didn't get caps put back on properly and one fell off.

The windshieldwasher fluid is a poor analogy...I know you're smarter than that weiner.

OP...if you end up installing one yourself, do NOT push on the center of the cap when installing it (push around the edges of the cap until it is fully seated)...they are soft aluminum and you will put a dent in the middle of it.

It is still ugly.

I can understand a wheel cover coving off from hitting a big pothole or curb, but a center cap???

I have to push mine out from the back side of the wheel and they are on there pretty snug.

I suppose its possible the wheels were off the OP's car (maybe for balancing?) and the tech didn't get caps put back on properly and one fell off.

The windshieldwasher fluid is a poor analogy...I know you're smarter than that weiner.

OP...if you end up installing one yourself, do NOT push on the center of the cap when installing it (push around the edges of the cap until it is fully seated)...they are soft aluminum and you will put a dent in the middle of it.

I did have to get a wheel balanced at one point when I had a new tire put on (the cost of a new stock tire w/ TPMS is ridiculous. Was almost $400 together, over that once they charged me for resetting the ECU). This could be where the cap fell off.

They really wouldnt give me the time of day as far as replacing a new centercap. I didnt make a big fuss about it, so maybe someone else would have better luck than me if they wanted to put the effort into it.

Pill, thanks for the advice. Had you not told me that, Im sure I wouldnt have thought twice about pushing in the center. Cheers.

Archived