LegacyGT.com

Strange Rattle....help

I have a Leg GT with Auto trans...there is a rattling sound...kinda sounds like it is near the firewall of the driver's side...when you accelerate with the car under load....like uphill or with 3 passengers... If you accelerate slowly...no sound...if you accerate hard....no sound...but if you accelerate somewhat hard...then the vibration/rattling appears... I think it has to do with the vibration of the engine under load, but I haven't found anything yet.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

i have the problem too, many will say its the fuel lines, it's not in my car. it's some plastic piece/harness tapping right under the dash below the drivers side vent, ive tried to get in there once with no luck, i will set aside a whole day as soon as it warms up and find out what it is, it's driving me nuts. if i hit a bump i can hear a tap with each bump, then when i accelerate hard i hear the rattle.

Well, it looks like I found the problem this afternoon. I was searching all over the place for fuel lines, brake lines, anything rubbing around. It turns out that the nuts holding the insulation to the fire wall were all loose.

mmm...don't know if this is your problem too..but it's something to check out....all of mine were loose...maybe the factory forgot to tighten mine...

i have the problem too, many will say its the fuel lines, it's not in my car. it's some plastic piece/harness tapping right under the dash below the drivers side vent, ive tried to get in there once with no luck, i will set aside a whole day as soon as it warms up and find out what it is, it's driving me nuts. if i hit a bump i can hear a tap with each bump, then when i accelerate hard i hear the rattle.

Did you ever find out what is causing this noise? I think I have the same, and I can't find where its coming from. It seems to be right under the driver side vent on the dash that is used to defog the door window.

Did you ever find out what is causing this noise? I think I have the same, and I can't find where its coming from. It seems to be right under the driver side vent on the dash that is used to defog the door window.

Not yet, although on some days like today the sound goes away, give me 1 hr in the car and it will come back, i think its just one of those plastic relay/harnesses thats come loose and is hitting something. I WILL find it :-)

i just got back from the dealers and we were talking about the fuel lines and how after acceleration, there is some fuel that perculates and causes vibrations in the dash and down into the door. theres a new fuel regulator that prevents this from happening.

this is a very new solution. i totally believe this is my problem and the right solution.

• 2 months later...
I have the same rattle coming from the drivers side widow defrost vent, when I hear the rattle, I can place my hand on the vent and it stops. I do not see any moving parts or feel anything that would cause this.

Archived