LegacyGT.com

Suggestions for good beginner snowboarding locations?

TrueWhiteBoy

I'm in Orange County, so anything within 5 hours should be fine (Mammoth would be fine if I can find something decent).

What places nearby have good, but fairly uncrowded runs for beginners? :lol:

Also what would be the best way of finding a cheap hotel/condo that's near to the resort?

any Southern California resort on a weekday will be "uncrowded" compared to a weekend. Try going to night sessions at either Mtn High or Snow Summit. Its not as crowded, however it can get cold and icy.

If you go to Mammoth, I found that staying at Motel 6 is pretty cheap.

Mammoth is the best place. For hotels, check expedia, hotels.com or Mammoth lodging. This weekend I got a 2 bedroom condo that sleeps 6 for $500. Divide it by 4 or 5 and you got a deal. We are looking for a 4th leaving on Friday and coming back on Sun before supa bowl..
Infamous Tuned

Is this the Motel 6 for Mammoth?

Unfortunately it's only looking to be 2-4 people, otherwise I'd try to find a cool condo or cabin to rent.

Motel 6 mammoth lakes #276

3372 main st

us 395 at sr 203

Mammoth lakes, CA, 93546

Phone: (760) 934-6660 | Fax: (760) 934-6989

Are you looking to spend the night? If it's a day trip I recommend Snow Valley or Snow Summit. They're both easily accessible when the weather's good and only about 2 hours from you. I think Bear Mountain would be a bit too overwhelming for beginners...plus I don't want to run into them (literally). :lol:

I'm open, it's looking more and more like a day trip.

Ideally I'd like to drive up in the early morning, snowboard all day, sleep in hotel, snowboard most of the day, drive back.

I wouldn't want to do a single day run to Mammoth given the amount of driving :)

I'd do a bigger group, but I ummm, kinda snore horribly, hahahaha

I've yet to try snowboarding myself. Skiiing was super easy to learn. Not so sure about snowboarding. Yeah I definitely want to go to Big Bear soon...might take a day off work so I miss the big weekend warrior crowds.

I've yet to try snowboarding myself. Skiiing was super easy to learn. Not so sure about snowboarding. Yeah I definitely want to go to Big Bear soon...might take a day off work so I miss the big weekend warrior crowds.

Good idea on bypassing the upcoming long weekend especially if you're just trying to pick up the sport. Fyi, snowboarding is completely different from skiing. ;)

Archived