LegacyGT.com

Megan Racing Uppipe Leak

GTStage2

Hey what's going on everyone. I just put in my Megan Racing Uppipe in my 05 Gt. The install was actually very simple and went well. I used the two new gaskets provided bye Megan Racing and reused the two OEM EXHAUST MANIFOLD gaskets, I have a leak. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and if so how did you fix it? Thanks in advance for the help.

It is really hard to tell where the leak is exactly, I crawled back under the car and tried to pinpoint the location but I could not see any exhaust leaking out. When I am sitting still you can't hear the leak, the car actually sounds incredibly mean! But once I start driving it sounds like a fart can. I am thinking the leak is very small. I am thinking that the leak is coming from the exhaust manifold area, so It could be the gasket between the manifold and the engine, not sure. I do have the flex megan racing uppipe, should this matter?

Has anyone used anything called RTV, or something like that as a sealant?

Don't use RTV, I highly recommend taking pictures and sending them to Megan racing. Their up pipes have been known to not fit due to a warped lower flange which connects to the manifold. I have personally have had one replaced and another local member has also had one replaced.

I would recommend trying another companies up pipe, like invidia or dc sports if your looking for a flex section, i have used/installed both and both fit like a glove.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Korpsepatrol.

Thanks for the advice, the only problem I have is that I'm broke! I purchased the uppipe awhile ago and just got around to putting it in, and honestly I don't really feel like pulling it back out. Was it hassle free to return the uppipe to megan racing? Just curious why not to use RTV?

The passenger's side manifold-to-UP location is the most common problem area - crawl under the car while it's running (but safely supported, of course!)...from a cold start, you should have at least a few minutes to work with, where those parts are cold enough to not worry about getting scalded.

If you can't feel anything with your hands, try a spray bottle of soapy water.

With the Megan, there's two more wild-card spots - the bolt for the UP EGT as well as the flex-section. You'll want to check those areas, too.

The worst case scenario, the one that I'd fear most, would be warped flange(s). If it's just a matter of getting things to seal, a combination of screwing around with the mounting order (potentially "re-clocking" the turbo a little), new gaskets, "spray gasket" (I really like the copper spray - don't use RTV, that area gets really, really hot, and the RTV will just not work, there's stuff like what I pictured below, the "spray gasket," that's designed specifically for exhaust applications), as well as re-torquing after a few heat-cycles should do the trick.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/300/0000-Permatex-Copper-Spray-A-Gasket---.jpg

^ It ain't gonna work miracles - it's more designed to hold gaskets in place before you put the parts on, as well as to get gasket seals really well, but it won't seal big leaks, which is the job of the gasket, itself, to prevent.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived