LegacyGT.com

Cruise control surges/jerks downhill

I notice this at lower speeds but once up at freeway speeds it doesn't seem to do it (I have the Euro 3.0 Spec B). It does seem that the cruise comes in all or nothing - some feathering of the throttle would be good.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please call or write to Subaru about your incidents. Without input from others they think nothing is wrong or what is happening is acceptable.

Please contact us at 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783), and refer to my case number 743944 to expedite your call.

or email directly to: SOAMail@sun.subaru1.com

e-commerce-cds@subaru.com

ecomcds@subaru.com and

cc to :

jmergen@subaru.com John Mergen

dmarshall@subaru.com Deloria Marshall

Maybe if we all write to them they will get the message.

The next step is to contact the CEO of Subaru North America, Mr. Kunio Ishigami.

Sincerely,

Gary Morgan

• 5 months later...
I emailed all of the subaru officials found in these treads with a fairly strong letter. I will post any responses

Mark

I'm looking forward to hearing what they say, but I bet the reply is the good 'ol "they all do that" or this is "considered normal". However, what is considered normal by Subaru isn't necessarily "right". I don't foresee Subaru engineering a solutoin to our problem. I've never had a car that just jabbed power on and off like this one. There seems to be no attempt by the car to feather in and out of the gas at all. My guess is that it also involves the new drive by wire throttle and they just didn't perfect it well enough. To me the drive by wire is a bit temperamental compaired to the older mechanical method. I also wonder if this also pertains to the harsh down shfts when using cruise control I have talked about in other threads?

• 2 weeks later...
I might add that my dealer has had a few of these complaints, mostly the cruise shutting off complaint, but one guy with our complaint sent his computer out for the reflash and I will know monday or tue if it fixed the problem.

Hey Guys,

I live in Moscow, ID and Ambassador Auto just had my ECU sent to the east coast to try and solve the cruise control surging problem in my 05 2.5i OBW. I've had the car back for about a week and there has been no improvement. I am quite bummed to say the least. To top it off the assistant service manager guy told me today that he could "pull the ECU again and reflash it but it wouldn't do anything" and then proceeded to tell me that all is normal and I shouldn't use cruise control on hills. I felt a little insulted by the first comment, and I'm starting to get sick of the "its normal" comment. Two weeks ago I initiated communication with the SOA people mentioned previously in this thread, and today I followed up on that with the new information I have.

Maybe this has been addressed, but have ANY 2006 models had this problem?

Andy

If you looked at my previous post I am now back with the answer except I live in Troy Idaho and use the same dealer as Andy in the post above. It was he I was waiting for and he just showed up. Andy, are you a friend of Chris? (salesman).

Any way no luck but I am willing to bet subaru is working on it and I think their will be a software update by summer.

Thanks for the feedback andy.

Since I live in "flatland" northern Indiana, I haven't seen this issue when the cruise is trying to maintain a steady speed.. However, I have noticed if the cruise is set and I want to "tap up" a few miles an hour that it will surge if I hit "accel" to rapidly... If I tap "accel" with a longer pause in between taps, it doesn't do it.

+1 on that. "coasting" down 1mph works like a champ. I can't get it to go up 1mph without having it surge on me. Annoying as hell, since most of my commute is spent with the cruise on.

If you looked at my previous post I am now back with the answer except I live in Troy Idaho and use the same dealer as Andy in the post above. It was he I was waiting for and he just showed up. Andy, are you a friend of Chris? (salesman).

Any way no luck but I am willing to bet subaru is working on it and I think their will be a software update by summer.

Thanks for the feedback andy.

I only know Chris through our professional relationship, aka I bought the OBW from him, but we chat whenever I stop in. He said that there was someone else out there with a automatic experiencing the same problem, I guess that is you. I thought it was interresting that his GT with the 5-speed doesn't exhibit the same behavior.

Andy "I-Want-Cruise-Control!!!!!!" Huska

Hey all,

I recently got a reply on this topic from the post I made at www.ultimatesubaru.net, so thought I would check this thread also. Was surprised to find it on the first page.

Anywho, here's the direct link to the post: http://www.ultimatesubaru.net/forum/showpost.php?p=380345&postcount=24

Pilgrim 54 here FINALLY FINALLY Got somewhere with this issue!!! After 11 months. Learned to live with the surging but new problem developed. Cruise would shut off on it's own after being on 20 to 45 minutes. Once this happened cruise refused to stay on. Took it in for repair of surging as well. They offered to let me drive several '06s. I took out THREE of them!!! ALL of them had the surging problem. Two standards and one auto.

Don't tell me no one else has the problem. If you've not experieced this you'd have no justifiable input. This on/off again throttle is severe enough that it will make your head go back and forth. People riding in your car think you're spastic! While on a test drive I looked over at the tech and HIS head was going back and forth!! Sort of a Subaru wave going on here. The official response was "cruise working as designed". However the tech investigated his new Subaru Tech Assistance Bullitans and found A NEW repair for this problem. So go , children, pursue your dreams of a smooth, normally working cruise control. Tell your tech to look at the new survice bulletins for this issue has been addressed.

This problem was finally fixed by Subaru. They had to take out the computer and send it back to recallibrate it. They had the car over the Thanksgiving weekend. Gave us a rental. Now the cruise works well. Does not shut off. Does not surge on and off going downhill. As I put it , if you bought this car you'd not notice a problem with the cruise at all.

So, apparently subaru has a TSB out about this problem. I posted in that thread asking if there was a certain TSB # we could request the local tech to look up, but he hasn't replied yet.

Man this is GOOD news! Its odd that this fella had his flashed over Thanksgiving and it worked, because my ECU was sent in 10 days before T-day and it didn't. BUT, if it works then I'm going back in coach. I know its only a detail, but I'd like to know if it fixes the jerking when letting off/stepping on the throttle in low gears, too.

+1 to giving us the TSB info!

Thanks guys, I love this forum,

Andy

Well... Pilgrim54 has been trying to get the TSB #, but hasn't had any luck. The dealer is giving him the runaround 'we're not sure if we can give this information out'. He figures they're afraid of a recall or something.

But he says that if you go to the dealer and have them look up new TSBs they should be able to find it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here is the latest. My dealer read the Pilgrim post and called tech support. The said that the have a new revised flash update that was for the cars with cruise that disengaged but it appears to work for the surging cruise as wll. That must be the flash Pilgrim got on his car around thanksgiving. They are going to do it to my car but because of the holidays we are going to wait until

Jan 2 and I should have and answer by Jan 4 or 5

Mark

I will try to get tsb number .

• 2 weeks later...

It is finally fixed.

Took back to Subaru and here is what they did:

Update(s): P2097, surge downhill while cruise control is operating

You might want to contact your local dealer to see you can get this most recent update.

Isn't it amazing when they said nothing was wrong!

Gary

:)

Well

I am BUMMED!

The reflash for the cruise control surging was a FAILURE. Mabey in a year they will figure it out.

I had an 2006 2.5I loaner and the cruise was perfect. Sorry

What really urks me is the previous post by gmorgan.

also my service manage said the is not tsb. It is on a case by case situation.

Mark

I would recommend having the dealer map out the engine parameters while running, especially if you can easily reproduce it. In doing so for me (for a stalling issue, not cruise control) they discovered my air/fuel (O2) sensor was reading flat (unresponsive) in the ECU. It never threw a CEL or generated a code. When they replaced that, actually after fixing a bent ECU pin, my engine seemed to really smooth out in the 2500-3500 band, where previously I had quite a few stutters under light/moderate throttle. I think the stutter can manifest itself as surging under cruise control as well.

Anyways, push them to map out the engine during this condition even if the ECU isn't indicating anything. We can definitely have problems with our engines that the ECU doesn't indicate with a CEL or other code. Hell, my engine was running open loop for months without any indication from the ECU.

--Lee

I've got an appointment with Select Subaru to test some '06 5-speeds, if they have any, of Friday. I just spent 15 minutes on the phone listening to the assistant service guy tell me its normal, so the two day wait will give me time to cool off. Damn this is pissing me off.

If the 06 5-speeds don't have any trouble then I'm tempted to make SOA trade me cars since they seem incapable of coming up with a software solution when they've had over 12 months of feedback.

I'll keep you posted,

Andy

I drove an 06 2.5i auto and a 06 2.5i 5 speed. and have figured out what is different about the 2006 cars. When driveing down hill in a 2006 car, mt or at,

the cruise does not let the throttle come all of the way off. It holds the throttle open at about 5%. So on the same long down hill road my 05 lets the throttle off completely and the engine compression starts to slow the car to hold say 60 mph. When it hits 59.5 mph the cruise starts making rapid stabs to bump it back to 60 again and so forth. The 06 cars instead of thottleing back completely hold just a little gas on at all times thus the car on the same hill slowly accelerates down the hill but very smoothly. The end result is the 2005 car hits the bottom of the hill at 60 mph bucking between throttle off and on all the way down but holds speed well. The 2006 cars hit the bottom of the very same hill at 80 mph but the throttle never moved the whole way down . It remained slightly open with the instant mpg reading at 75 mpg. If the hill would have been longer I am sure I would have hit 100 mph.

Hey all,

I just went and drove a 06 2.5i 5speed with 2500 miles and had pretty much the same experience as Mark just did. I did not think to check the instant MPG, but I can backup the fact that with cruise on the car did accumulate speed unlike my 05. I also noticed that there was much less jerkyness when just driving around and doing on the on/off throttle thing. I actually put about 50 miles on the car over the course of 70 minutes of driving. I tested the car on 4 significant hills in the Coeur d'Alene area and loved it. At first I even noticed my back was tensing up at the point when my car would have started surging, it was funny, but not that funny. The 06 was perfect, my car sucks. When I get home I'll be filling my SOA with my findings, and I'll be talking with the service managers at Ambassador and Select on Monday morning.

Archived