LegacyGT.com

Towing Question

Hello all,

I am new to the forums here. In fact, I don't even own a Legacy....yet.

I've owned a couple of Subaru's in the past (Loyale, Forrester), but now I'm on the market and looking for something a little more sporty. I've found a 1999 GT Limited sedan for a decent price. Before I pull the trigger, I wanted to get some info regarding towing with these vehicles.

I need something that can pull two dirt bikes. My trailer is 300lbs, each bike roughly 200lbs, combined weight with gear, around 800lbs.

So, am I crazy to wanna tow with a Legacy, or is it up to the challenge? Would a trans cooler be absolutely necessary? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :icon_mrgr

Not a problem. A stock legacy can comfortably pull 1000lbs without breaking a sweat. That is way, way lower than the towing capacity. I have a small racing sailboat that with trailer is a bit less than what you want to tow and it is a non-issue.

Make sure your trailer is in good shape, has surge brakes, good tires and that the tongue weight is appropriately balanced and most importantly, GO SLOW. AWD does not make the Leggy a 5500lb truck all of a sudden.

Make sure your trailer is in good shape, has surge brakes, good tires and that the tongue weight is appropriately balanced and most importantly, GO SLOW. AWD does not make the Leggy a 5500lb truck all of a sudden.

Thanks for the advice!

As far as tongue weight, with both bikes loaded, I measured 65lbs, so that shouldn't be a problem. However, you mentioned brakes, my trailer has no brakes.....:confused:

As a rule of thumb, you want about 10% of your weight on the tongue. So if your fully loaded trailer is 800lbs, then you could do with a bit more than 65lbs of tongue weight.

And trailer brakes are nice to have, but completely unnecessary for what you're doing.

The Outback I have is rated for a braked trailer of 1800kg, and that's 3900 pounds.

Unbraked it's rated for 750kg, which is 1650 pounds.

Older legacies may be rated a bit lower, but you should be in the safe zone.

However it's a good idea to have a braked trailer so if you can upgrade the trailer you have without too much work and cost you should look into it.

453747.png

Archived