LegacyGT.com

Tracking Down the Boost Leak

FireB

Sorry Moderator, if you can move this to a Turbo Powertrains, I would appreciate it.

For some reason, I was thinking Intake and posted here......

So I am getting tuned right now and it seems like I am having a bit of a problem with Boost Leak.

This is what is happening right now on my log.

See attachment Below

1-27-10 log.csv

Obviously, I am in between tune revisions so things can look a little not smooth but please take a look at how the boost is behaving as well as the Air Flow.

When Compressed air was being put in, I found out 2 things before hitting the headache.

1. Intake to Inlet Silicone Clamp (Pre-Turbo Leak)

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp192/fistoffire/LGT%20Forum/DSCN0182.jpg

The top clamp as you look at this picture in this orientation, was on an angle and found out there was a leak there.

2. Perrin BPV Cap was bubbling

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp192/fistoffire/LGT%20Forum/DSCN0180.jpg

You should be able to see the bubbles that is coming out from the connection of The Black part and the Silver Cap.

Screwed the cap and no more bubbles.

Granted that it is now Compressor Surging to a point, but we are looking for a boost leak now.

The headache is this.

LGT Forum :: Leak Sound Clip video by fistoffire - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid411.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid411.photobucket.com/albums/pp192/fistoffire/LGT%20Forum/DSCN0181.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vid411@@AMEPARAM@@411@@AMEPARAM@@pp192/fistoffire/LGT%20Forum/DSCN0181

This movie was taken aimed at the Inlet an the Intake Manifold.

I am putting compressed air up to about 5 sec in the movie.

Obviously, the Intake side was Capped so no air can enter or exit.

Then I hear the Gargling sound along with the WHOOOO howling sound both at the same time.

I thought it was 1 cylinder's ring just busted...But the engine is not on so the throttle plate should be closed right?!

I hear the sound from the Inlet right below the Intake Manifold where you really don't have a good sight.

Checked and sprayed soapy water on all the connections on the inlet and no bubbles.....

Most of the clamp and the junctions has been sprayed down with soapy water and turned out to be OK.

Anyone can enlighten me on this leak situation?

I will be taking off the bumper skin this weekend to see if there are any leaks from the 2 connection of the FMIC.

Ohhhh what a head ache.....:spin:

I can't really make anything out from the video. But, try squeezing/clamping/capping the various lines that run to and from the turbo inlet. At least one of them is part of the gas tank evap system, and it can leak. Its not a big deal in practice because the inlet isn't normally pressurized.

You might also try turning the crankshaft a few degrees at a time to see to move the valves around.

Ahh, Nice Idea.

I am guessing that if I Cap the 3 lines that goes to the inlet, it should probably make that sound eliminated right?

I know the one that is closest to the turbo on the inlet is for the BPV so that shouldn't be making funky sound I am assuming.

You know......It would have been so much easier if I went rotated so that all the lines are easier to get to..........:rolleyes:

But would you happen to know how a Ring Land Leak would sound like?

Now I am kinda concerned that it might be an internal parts?!

However, even if it were to be a ringland, would it be associated with a boost leak??

I am so confused.

Well, I am gonna test it out tomorrow again and then on Friday taking the bumper off.

It's all trial and error I guess!

Thanks for the idea!

I don't think a ring land would affect this test. It would just let pressure into the crankcase (if the intake valves on that same cylinder happen to be open), and all of the ports on the case go to the turbo inlet and manifold anyway.

Thanks.

It makes me sleep better.

:)

But your logic is perfect since even if the air passes through the ringland, the air will still be returned to the inlet by the hoses right?

Only time that the air will get its way out is when the intake valves and exhaust valves are overlapped right?

I don't know much about engine but that seems to be the only way that the air can escape in to the exhaust side.

Hence, I guess I do have a leak somewhere!!

Yeah, as far as I know the intake tract is sealed downstream of the turbo. And mostly upstream too. :) The evap line I mentioned had a valve in that I think would only allow it to lean when there's positive pressure in the inlet, which basically never happens.

When you start testing, start with the smaller lines coming from the front of the inlet. It was one of those.

So basically, i cap the vacuum lines that is connected to the inlet.

Then pressurize from the inlet where the vacuum lines were taken out correct?

I will definitely try that and see if it still makes any sound.

How hard can this be!! It's driving me nuts!

Thanks!

Found where the other boost leak was.

This time I pressurized the piping from after the turbo compressor.

The leak was on the Driver's Side FMIC Joint.

Thank you to AVO for the slightly bigger T-Bolt clamp that tehy provided which ate the thread at the end....

LGT Forum :: Boost Leak Driver's side FMIC Joint video by fistoffire - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid411.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid411.photobucket.com/albums/pp192/fistoffire/LGT%20Forum/DSCN0189.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vid411@@AMEPARAM@@411@@AMEPARAM@@pp192/fistoffire/LGT%20Forum/DSCN0189

I am hoping this is the last leak that I am encountering.....

Hope to do some 3rd gear Pull to see if I lose any pressure again.

I really wanted the proper boost leak tester but went to home depot and an auto parts store $10 in all.

Ghetto fabulous for sure but it worked. :lol:

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp192/fistoffire/LGT%20Forum/DSCN0190.jpg

While performing the boost leak and finished everything.

I pressurized everything again and heard some sound from inside the inlet?

Could there be a possibility that some air is going beyond the Throttle Plate and leaking a little?

I hear that when you do a boost leak test, you do lose about 1psi a second?

• 2 months later...

I am not too sure what he means by leak in the intake... You mean the leak in the Inlet Pipes?

From what everyone experiences, you might have a rip on the Intake Inlet where they get clamped on to the Compressor housing.

That is one of the hardest place to get to but most likely, it is there that is causing unmetered air to come in.

If you want to be sure, you can do a boost leak down test like what I did above and see if After Turbo part of the piping is sealed.

If it is, then you have a problem from the Intake to the Turbo.

Not 100% but this should make it pretty obvious.

• 3 weeks later...

bumpin it up.

I think I might have a leak somewhere. I put the stock TMIC back on and still have stutter at part throttle...

I traced all the vac / PCV lines I could and none of them look cracked and they all seem to make it to their destination. The only thing I can't really see is the turbo inlet tube fittings since they are mostly tucked under the IM.

I am wondering if I have a leak there somewhere. Since I have swapped intercoolers, and still have the symptoms (even with the stock TMIC), I would imagine it has nothing to do with the IC.

So, how can I look for leaks in the inlet tube? I got a little confused reading this thread... it seems that I would have to plug one of the lines coming off the inlet? I started another thread with no response, so I will jump in here and see if FireB was able to figure this out.

Thanks!

bumpin it up.

I think I might have a leak somewhere. I put the stock TMIC back on and still have stutter at part throttle...

I traced all the vac / PCV lines I could and none of them look cracked and they all seem to make it to their destination. The only thing I can't really see is the turbo inlet tube fittings since they are mostly tucked under the IM.

I am wondering if I have a leak there somewhere. Since I have swapped intercoolers, and still have the symptoms (even with the stock TMIC), I would imagine it has nothing to do with the IC.

So, how can I look for leaks in the inlet tube? I got a little confused reading this thread... it seems that I would have to plug one of the lines coming off the inlet? I started another thread with no response, so I will jump in here and see if FireB was able to figure this out.

Thanks!

I myself is no expert at this but this might help what you are trying to find.

Yeah, as far as I know the intake tract is sealed downstream of the turbo. And mostly upstream too. :) The evap line I mentioned had a valve in that I think would only allow it to lean when there's positive pressure in the inlet, which basically never happens.

When you start testing, start with the smaller lines coming from the front of the inlet. It was one of those.

What I did was plug the inlet pipe where it meets the inlet box with something so that the air won't escape.

Spray down with soapy water where the turbo meets the inlet.

Then take off one of the vacuum lines off, plug the rubber line and put pressured air on the inlet side (the nipple).

I believe most of the people get the leak from where the turbo meets the inlet with the worm gears.

On the other note, did you do a soapy water test on the "Turbo to IC Connection" and "IC to Intake Manifold Connection"?

I highly doubt (Don't quote me on this) that you have a leak on the inlet since your car is not that old and you do not sound like you have anything that involved moving the inlet piece like swapping out a turbo.

well, I did install injectors and had to life the intake manifold for it. I am afraid I tugged on the turbo inlet or a pipe that goes to the turbo inlet.

I put 10 psi on the turbo inlet last night and with the kazoo, it was hard to hear for other leaks. Its also hard to do the soap test where the turbo inlet hose connects to the turbo, since you can't see anything. I did do the soap test on the TMIC connections and some vac connections.

Tracking down any leaks is difficult. A smoke machine would be sweet.

Archived