LegacyGT.com

Anyone lighten their stock flywheel? can use w/ exedy oem clutch?

papp101

I'm thinking of doing a swap for a new exedy stage 1 clutch. I'd like to reuse my stock flywheel as I have aline on just the clutch disc, bearings and pressure plate.

1) Can I use that clutch with my stock flywheel?

2) If I do have my flywheel machined, has anyone ever done somne extra machining to lighten it up? Is there any way to do that? What pattern would you do?

I have a vf40, wbr fmic and custom tune to 18psi.

Much appreciated for the input!

1. No, you cannot use a Exedy Stage 1 (WRX) clutch with a stock flywheel. The Stage 1 Exedy clutch is not a LGT only clutch.

2. If you do have your flywheel machined, you will be doing something that subaru did not intend you to do, resurface the flywheel. Ross, the head of service over at Subaru Glendale, informed me of this when I discussed doing a clutch with him. (I imagine you could reuse a stock flywheel if it was in good shape)

Directly from EXEDY SITE:

Must change flywheel to FF502 for performance clutch kit (15804, 15952); 2.5L(EJ25T)

http://www.exedyusa.com/race/Applications

The review I wrote on the Exedy Stage 1 setup w/ F1 lightened flywheel

http://legacygt.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=322&sort=2&cat=57&page=1

If you read on the exedy site or ebay or most places that sell the Exedy Stage 1 for LGT use you would already know you can't use the stock flywheel with it.

Your 2005 has a dual-mass flywheel. I believe it's generally frowned upon to machine them, as it'd be quite hard to machine the same amount of mass from both and keep it in balance (that's just my guess as to why they don't recommend doing it).

i'm running OEM wrx FW with Exedy Stage 2 clutch. .. don't have any problems. clutch is pretty firm but nothing crazy. .. almost stock like.

i got my FW used from car-parts.com, then i left it at machine shop. it cost me all together about $120.

as losangeleslgt said, you can't use DMFW with exedy sgt 1 or 2 clutch . . only OEM replacment. . . good luck . . PM me if you have any questions about clutch swap

Archived