LegacyGT.com

Slipping clutch or?

So i've got a question regarding the clutch and or drivetrain. The engine feels fine but on the highway in 4th or 5th if I floor it the rpms will jump then settle down, jump and then settle again. It accelerates fine but the rpms seem to creep up...

any ideas?

thats what I'm figuring, just thought it was odd doing that in higher gears rather than say 1st or 2nd.

Why would you think that is odd? Bigger gears are harder to turn so it puts more strain on the clutch. By the way, stop doing pulls in 4th and 5th. It is slipping, it is not your imagination. You have 2000 miles or less on your clutch if you drive nice. Start reading clutch reviews immediately.

im getting the same thing on my 05 gt. seams to actualy be getting better!?!?!

;)

Thanks, well see what I can afford when it finally goes out. Anyone recommend one set up over another?

I'm really happy with the ACT HD clutch. I don't have anything to compare it with except for stock. It's much better than stock and pretty nice for daily driving.

haha LA, I guess I figured that itd slip low as thats where most of the torque is. I've been reading, trying to figure out what may be best in the fture, act/spec, any comments or reviews would be great.

Oh now I copy. It was the FEELING that was counterintuitive! You are right about that, it certainly is.

I guess all my time on 10speeds and 18speed mountain bikes just made it intuitive to me - big gears take a lot of force to push.

In a car it does certainly FEEL like you are pushing a lot harder in first but that is actually because it is so much easier for the car to spin the little gear. :lol:

Have you checked the review section?

http://legacygt.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=57

Personally I went with a Exedy Stage 1 360lb clamping force and a F1 flywheel. Total cost was around $600 for parts.

Oh now I copy. It was the FEELING that was counterintuitive! You are right about that, it certainly is.

I guess all my time on 10speeds and 18speed mountain bikes just made it intuitive to me - big gears take a lot of force to push.

In a car it does certainly FEEL like you are pushing a lot harder in first but that is actually because it is so much easier for the car to spin the little gear. :lol:

Have you checked the review section?

http://legacygt.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=57

Personally I went with a Exedy Stage 1 360lb clamping force and a F1 flywheel. Total cost was around $600 for parts.

Oh it makes sense when you think about it from a physics point of view but at the time it seems like in 1st and second you are much harsher on the clutch.

I went with the WRX flywheel because I didn't want to deal with the added chatter from a LWFW.

13lb flywheel. ZERO chatter. If you are talking about the added tranny noise that is not dampened that can be faintly heard off throttle (coasting) between 3200 and 4000rpm; same thing with any single mass FW - no extra mass reducing NVH. Did I mention the part about zero chatter?:wub:

Reduced launching power, increased ease of rev and response. Good for some, not for all. Some HATE LWFW.

EDIT for Darkness of Death: Did I mention NO CHATTER? :lol:\/

Still riding the stock clutch and I've been slipping for at least a good 9 months. That's about 6,000 miles for me. I rarely get into it and drive like the little old lady NOT from Pasadena. The clutch has its good days and bad days. Most tempermental thing ever. Sometimes, I do the 4th gear test and it spikes right after boost. Sometimes it doesn't. I've got my new clutch on order just so I'm not without a vehicle for too long when the stocker finally gives up the ghost.

Archived