LegacyGT.com

My endless search for exhaust is exhausting

xBrian

First, I've had many different cars over the years never keeping one stock. Its preposterous!

This is my first "do it right" car that I have not impulse purchased stuff for. I have been looking at many possibilities over the year or so that I've had my 05' LGT wagon. I have finally settled on doing exhaust for my first mod. Did tint horns and some other things, but those dont really count.

I live in MN, there are many shops out here offering great quality services. I've contacted most of them, mainly those that are known for good subaru work. Their prices for full catback fabbed pipeing and flowmaster mufflers with tax and all work was around $600. Now $600 is great, much cheaper then the Borla catback at $900 not including install etc.

I know a few locals out here that have been doing full car builds, fab work and anything you need for much cheaper then the shops. The thing that keeps the cost low is, you have to be there and do the work basically, but they do all the technical stuff. And thats fine by me, some people dont like that.

Here is what I'm looking at doing. A catback probably 2.5" to 3" piping with duals mufflers and tips, much like the stock exhaust. I dont want much drone, but I do want to hear the trademark Suby grumble. Humble, yet allowing better breath ability/ performance.

The person I'm talking with thinks we should just do a single pipe and closeing the hole on the bumper cover to cover the dual oval and not have an open slot with no tip. This will keep cost much much lower. He is willing to do a Y with a welded plate to cut off the dual. He feels since its not a true dual it will breathe much more freely with a single pipe. He is open to what I want to do and is only providing me with possible ideas. This is a down the road warmer weather project. Right now we are just in the planning stages. But I'm mainly concerned over back pressure.

I want to know if there is a downside to doing this? I figure this car has duals for a reason, would it be harmful, louder, a bad idea to do a single pipe. Or is it ok and I'm just being paranoid? Has anyone done this that can chime in? Feel free to post your ideas reguardless if you have done it or not.

The only thing a single really has over duals is weight and maybe cost depending on materials and brands. Plus, as you said, you have to cover the bumper cutout. Leave the single fart cans for the WRX boys and either buy a tasteful dual or have a nice dual fabbed. 2 Borla/Magnaflow cans can be bought fairly cheap sometimes. Then you might want to look for a XO2 mid and Y to keep costs down.

Archived