LegacyGT.com

CV Shaft or Bearing?

96GTL

Have a 1997 Legacy Outback. After Christmas the right front cv shaft was replaced. The inboard joint boot had split and needed replacement. Unfortunately I had to drive it 300 miles with a vibration that would come and go. Well, it has been good until a few days ago and 1500 miles on it. Started to get a whump, whump as I drove (45 mph+) and no significant vibration, well not like before. Made it back home, 200 miles and looked at it today. There is this black powdery stuff on the center of the rim that the other 3 rims don't have. Visibly the shaft looks good. Raised the front right and the wheel bearing doesn't have any play. I will take the wheel off tomorrow to look at it better. What I did notice was the in board joint moves up and down and all around on the the stub shaft coming out of the trans. Seems like a lot of play. The pin is still there and the joint seems tight. It's like the bearing is bad in the trans but if that was the case I would have a whining bearing noise which there was none of that. I know cv shafts can go bad and never know it. The reason I am asking about this is I had a Subaru dealer install the aftermarket shaft when the original went 3 weeks ago. I haven't talked to them yet about warranty replacement because I live 500 miles from them. Has anyone have any ideas on what this problem is?

Warped rotor eating away at the brake pads? Brake dust is extremely common with disc brakes, especially in the front. This would explain any vibration while the car is moving and any pulsating while on the brakes.

The shield of the bearing in the transmission can be damaged during careless installation of the CV Shaft. This could cause damage to the bearing, but you'd notice gear oil leaking out of the transmission.

CV Shafts are actually easy to identify when they go bad. They generally cause a loud clicking and some bucking while accelerating, especially while turning in one direction.

yup damm cv joint alright mines doing the same thing and I know that its not nessary b uuut you should do both at the same time!! yuo know for some reson it always just goes better like that!! but ya change it or it will ruin the differential bearings then you may as well say bye bye!! I might have too!! sux!

Problem has been fixed. The wheel nuts were not torqued down. They were loose enough for it to move but not enough, yet, for the studs to shear off. Check everything else out and all it tight. Drives fine now.

• 1 month later...

HI mate,

This sounds just like the problem I have - I live in Japan and the dealers aren't really sure.

Basically, when I pull off from standing, theres a loud 'click'/almost a 'clunk' from the right front side and occasionally the car judders/bucks a bit while pulling off - I think its worse when I'm at a light and I pull off to the right - which would make sense from what you're saying.

Also when I change gears, the click/clunk happens when I let the clutch out and accelerate (its a manual).

Sounds a lot like what you're saying - any thoughts?

Many thanks for posting, this forum has helped me A LOT out here!

Stephan

CV Shafts are actually easy to identify when they go bad. They generally cause a loud clicking and some bucking while accelerating, especially while turning in one direction.

• 3 months later...

Hi All

I have another problem. Last weekend we replaced CV joints at an older Subaru Justy (front wheel drive). We could put back the right side without problems but we had problems with the left side: the swing didn't fit where it was supposed to be, nearly half an inch was missing. I read above that a CV joint can be damaged during installation. We need to fix the car, cos girls had already prepared beers and pizza and we didn't succeed. Kinda embarrassing... Does anybody have any idea what the problem here could be? Thanks in advance

Archived