LegacyGT.com

Stage 1, need trans cooler?

quick4dr

going stage 1 very soon, is it recommended to install a tranny cooler? i dont beat on my vehicle but the added safety would give me peice of mind. what model coolers are recommended, how hard is the install?

This is what im looking at,

Tru-Cool LPD thin, Stacked Plate cooler kit

# LPD4451 Compact cars & small trucks, GVW rating 11,000 lbs.

Low pressure drop cooler

4 x 11 3/4

I ran a trucool 4454 on my car when i went stage 2 on my 05 5eat.

It is mostly for peace of mind since 5eat transmissions seem to run quite hot.

The install is not hard at all also, there are several instructions on this site that i used.

moved to transmission section..

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

You realize your transmission is pretty smart - it monitors the fluid temperature and if it ever gets too hot an alert flashes up on the dash panel? It will also hold lower gears in order to warm up to operating temperature as fast as possible - in cold weather I am guessing a cooler could actually be counter productive. I am sure many will disagree but I can't see any need for a transmission cooler unless you are towing or otherwise pushing the transmission doing autocross etc.

I disagree :)

First off, the aftermarket coolers we are installing have a bypass feature built in. When the fluid is too cold, it does not get routed through the whole body of the cooler. As it warms up, it gets routed increasingly into more of the surface area. How well this feature actually works hasn't been documented but come next winter I will have a temp sensor and I'll know for sure.

The factory transmission cooler (yes, there is one) is either built into the radiator or is attached to the bottom of it from what I could tell. I guess if we can confirm that the radiator part # is different for automatic units, we'll know.

When modified, the transmission is seeing an increased amount of torque. The VF40 hits it hard and hits it soon, below the stall speed of the torque converter. This heats up the ATF. Sure, you are more than welcome to make the decision for yourself that you do not need a cooler. However, most of us chose to err on the side of safety and get one. You will much sooner kill the transmission during summer than kill it because it is being cooled excessively.

Here's a good read on TruCool

http://www.dana.com/Automotive_Systems/images/PDFs/LNG039_Tru_Cool_2007_B.pdf

Later edit: looking at that brochure, my wife's Mini comes equipped from factory with a cooler that looks like the long aluminium units on the last page. That thing is HUGE, it is almost a quarter of the size of the radiator.

Fun fact: the 4452 has a BTU rating of 9800, which means it can shed the equivalent of 252,000 calories :lol:

Archived