LegacyGT.com

Power light and High RPMS 1993 Leg.w Turbo

My 1993 sub legacy w turbo w automatic tranny is experiencing a problem with high RPM, at the slightest touch of the gas peddle. The weather seems to make it worst when it rainy out,. Very much difficulty starting it, and then it revs right up to between 1500rpm or 2000! When warm it will idle between 600 and 1000 /1500!

No check engine light but the green power light comes on when it gets around 2000rpm, and it seems under certain speeds only.

Also when its at a high RPM, the car isnt going any faster. And it will have sudden power surges, jump to 4k very quiklcy and back down to 2500.

Mechanic in FOrd country..lol claims he couldnt get a reading. Well the check enigne light is not coming on.

The green power light is.

Anyhow,he had it 3 days and brought it home to me..yea just drove it and dropped it!

So now I am really upset and on tues it goes to another mechanic.

I dont know what to make of it. Tranny fluid is normal and nice color.

Also tranny was rebuilt has only 44k miles on it!

Before this all began the car use to have problems handling some BIG hills..it would lose power and I had to really push it to make it up..it would vibrate and sound like a backfire...not as loud..a sligth pop.

Now its seems to be cured of that..lol and now its wants to rev at high RPM.

If I take my foot of the gas when it is going crazy, the power light will go off.

Please help..

the car goes into another mechanic, and I am out of work at the moment.

Sorry but I need to know how to approach this problem correctly.

Thank you all in advance.:)

When starting up in cold weather the 2k idle, until its warm, is normal. Im not exactly sure the rest of your problem thought. I know some people on here will help you through this. Welcome by the way!

Hi!

thank you for the reply.

Up until the car began acting up it would never idle so high. I believe at start up maybe 1000rpm.

But the idle isnt the only issue..lol

When I apply gas the idle zooms at least a 1000 rpms over what it was before i apply the gas, and then the power light will come on. And the crazy quick power surges when it jumps from 3k to 4k!

Of course the speed isnt what it would normally be for those rpms.

I noticed that if I apply gas lightly the problem isnt as bad. But on hills I must use a heavier foot.

Maybe I can beter explain if asked a direct quesion. The ford mechanic mentioned it might be a mass air flow sensor

One more thought. Isnt the power light to alert u for tranny issues?

I really don't think the transmission is your issue. The power light is supposed to come on under heavy loads, and the car surging is probably causing the light to come on at random times. If you accelerate fast, the light should come on, but like you said, with the RPM's up, it comes on as well.

Check plugs, wires, all your vacuum lines, and your intake. There are so many vac. lines under the hood, even if one pops off, it'll make the care run like total shit. This sounds like an intake issue and/or bad spark plugs to me.

I agree with Bdubs, I also have a 93 legacy turbo (sport)...when I first got the car a few months ago...it was having serious issues with rpms...I found a few vacumm lines that were cracked and some major intake leaks (hoses) today I found two more vacuum hoses with large cracks...

check the hose from the turbo going to the throttle body...mine has lots of fresh oil build up on the inside so the T.B. is pretty dirty...you may have a similar issue.

good luck...

I agree with Bdubs, I also have a 93 legacy turbo (sport)...when I first got the car a few months ago...it was having serious issues with rpms...I found a few vacumm lines that were cracked and some major intake leaks (hoses) today I found two more vacuum hoses with large cracks...

check the hose from the turbo going to the throttle body...mine has lots of fresh oil build up on the inside so the T.B. is pretty dirty...you may have a similar issue.

good luck...

Hey Guys, Thank you so much! I only wish this girl was more mechanically inclined:redface: and had the tools to do the work.

I will look under the hood and see if I could find something off.

I feel terrible saying this but the car has over 60k miles and has not had a tuneup. I took it to a garage for that and some other work. The mechanic didnt do the tuneup because he claims that the plugs in a subaru could crack the head or something like that as you remove them because they ave a tendency to rust tight inside their chambers.

I live in the country and mechanics in this area still like back in the 30's resist working on foreign cars! :lol: What can I say.

The past day or so I have been playing with it to see what makes it work normal.

I noticed that if I keep it under the 2000k rpm it doesnt go as nuts.

I also do hear a sort of whining sound like wind.

I really appreciate the hep here guys. Now if I could get the mechanic to "pay attention" to me.:cool:

I really don't think the transmission is your issue. The power light is supposed to come on under heavy loads, and the car surging is probably causing the light to come on at random times. If you accelerate fast, the light should come on, but like you said, with the RPM's up, it comes on as well.

Check plugs, wires, all your vacuum lines, and your intake. There are so many vac. lines under the hood, even if one pops off, it'll make the care run like total shit. This sounds like an intake issue and/or bad spark plugs to me.

you know I did read in the manual about the power light coming on in heavy loads. But mine never did it before. I was wondering why.

Maybe a past experience of mine could help others.

I had an issue of the car dying out totally upon taking certain turns, lke a sharp turn unto a street, not highway curves.

As it turned out it was a sensor or some switch that is located next to the tranny.

It wasnt a cheap repair. Cost me around 400 or so!

Yeah a sensor may be an issue here too...the vacuum lines are a good place to start. seeing the age of your legacy, the lines are probably worn out to a point where they're leaking. there's also a possibility that it's the MAF. check that out, clean it if necessary, and it might be a stupid question, but how's the air filter looking? if there hasn't been a tune up in awhile, everything should be gone through haha. hope this helps...good luck

The whining sound may be a boost leak. It's really tough to say what exactly is the problem when you can't see the car, but I'd bet it isn't as complicated of an issue as you may think.

If it's been that long since you have had a tuneup in the car, start at the air filter, work your way right up to the turbo, and over to the TB and make sure all the clamps are tight.

I always take these parts out and clean them at least once a year. A lot of blowby in these engines gunks all this stuff up like crazy, and can basically suffocate the poor thing.

I'd highly recommend you find someone in the area who knows a subaru engine so they can take all this apart, clean it up, replace all your plugs, clean up the MAF, and go from there. This is the cheapest place to start, and isn't labor intensive whatsoever.

Also, my power light has never come on under heavy load. It works, it lights up when I start the car, but that's it. Never turns on again.

Hey guys thanks so much! I only wish I was able to work on it. Small hands and no tools female, what can I say!

To answer the question, I did get the air filter changed. It was shortly after that, and then this problem began.

Is it my imagination but I wonder if ethanol isnt killing our car engines.

I use shell 93 grade.

I looked under the hood and off to the left side where those 2 big silver outlet pipes are, well in that area but below them I noticed a "wet area".

Its not from the engine. for I do know what my engine it.

Its off to the bottom left of those 2 pipes.

Is that something to do with the turbo?

BTW, I only wish i could find someone close who knows these cars. Closest dealer or mechanic is about 50 miles from here!

I hate to abandon her and get another car, for I could end up with worst.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m257/brandon12284/IMG_0480.jpg

Here is a picture with some things I highlighted which should be looked at.

1- The cover kind of gets in the way, but that pops right off with no tools. Under the cover I'd check the clamp to the Throttle Body (follow the funny looking tube to the end, on top of the engine), if it's loose or anything. Also, there is a smaller dia. hose which attatches underneath of that intake tube, check that, make sure there are no slits, cuts, dry rot, even give it a shake, see what happens. If these are loose, you'd have what we call a boost leak. These tubes need to be tight in order for the car to work properly, or you'll get a massive air leak, and the car will react like it wants to die.

2- Is the resonator box and turbo inlet elbow. Same here, make sure all the clamps are tight, no hoses are hanging down, cut, rotted, exposed, leading to nowhere. The elbow leads right to the turbo, and should be seated flush and tight. Check the ribbed belows and make sure they aren't damaged, over time this part dry rots and any holes in these parts renders them useless.

3- Just out of the picture is the air filter box. If you say the filter got changed, these old cars didn't use clips, they were actually fastened by 4 bolts. Make sure the top is seated tightly. Also, you'll see an elbow there BEFORE the resonator box, make sure that isn't damaged as well.

I hope this kind of gives you idea of at least where to look, what to look at, or even what to tell the mechanic. All of this can be done with a screwdriver. Especially if you come across something loose, just tighten it right up.

If you can, point out where its wet on that picture as well.

IMG_0480.jpg.8b8f64297220031c7f6aa9472c0a8007.jpg

Hi, I hope this works. Hmm, u have to clik on the image for it to enlarged...please. First timer here with the pics...

I believe the engine in the pic is a little different looking than mine?

I tried to pojnt to the spot where I saw the wet area.

Look for the bluegreen spots near the turbo area, please.

Thats if I managed to get this pic up correctly.

The wet spot is in that general area but downunderneath those 2 silver outlet pipes(?), from the engine back headed towards the firewall.

Lucky I know some of the names of the parts..lol.

Thanks alot, for all the help guys:)!

Pic works fine. That may look a little different to you, because the cover may have been removed on yours.

That is pretty close to the fuel rail, but I'd say if it were gas, you'd certainly smell it.

So, if anything maybe a leaky power steering pump. There is a small, maybe 1/2" rubber hose that tends to deteriorate over time. I don't see that problem being related to the car running incorrectly.

yes! Thank you! I do have leaks in the power steering. Had it to the mechanic for that 2! Came back with the just add fluid or put some sort of "stop" stuff in it.

Can that hose be accessed from underneath?

Oh and I made that list up u gave me and handed to the "new mechanic. I was happy he wasnt put off by it.

Then I pointed out the wet spot. He said,oh that probably an engine oil leak, and old one!

Too bad I didnt read this message first. I will call and tell him.

Although, is it ok to just keep adding fluid to the power steering?

I ask because I do believe in keeping up with the car. But I am taking some pretty hard knocks finacially with it lately.

Typical spells for older cars. Then they run good, right:)!?

Every once in awhile I did smell a very faint order of gas. Not sure where it was coming from. I dont often go under the hood, only to do the basics I am able to do, like maintain fluids.

Anyhow, she is at the garage as we speak. I miss her, but wow what a time she had going the 40 miles to the mechanic! I had to avoid some hills. Its crazy, on some hills she ran like her old self. Then on the rolling little curvy ones..whew.

Rev up to 4k, back down to 3k to 2k!

So, lets see where we go from here.

They are gonna probably do a tune up. Its best. Cost 270.00!!!

Aint it lucky being a girl without a tool belt:)!

Thanks a bunch andif anyone can still add to my questions, please reply.

Antoinette

well as long as things are happening, that's the way to go. always start from somewhere; a tune-up is that somewhere haha. once that problem's found, she should run like a champ for another 200k or so. do a subaru dance or something for the gods :spin:

Yes that true!

The 2 subarus prior to this one were incredible, you couldnt kill it! Barely took a penny to maintain or run.

I noticed one thing though, they both ate up alternators like they were candy!

Well I will post here again once she is home!

Thank you everyone for all the help.

If you ever need a recipe for a fantastic apple pie...lol just PM me. Other than that, I am not of much assist in repaying you guys for the help!

funny about the alternators: i'm pretty sure many of the mid-late 90s subarus had recalls on the alternators. so if another one ever goes bad, check out any recalls for that car. good luck! and i'm hoping mine never dies; it's my first car :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

The problem is solved( I hope)!

After the car being out of commish for 2 weeks, and over 1100.00 in repairs, she is back home!

I am the poster who started this thread about high RPMs.

Well, i took it in and the garage did a tune-up and check a few hoses. Found nothing major.

Costs me first ime in there for a tuneup and also a "coil", and some other part-668.00!!

It was a very cold day when I picked it up from the garage. So when it started at 2k RPM I wasnt too alarmed.

But the moment I put my foot ever so lightly on the gas it went nutty.

I was very disturbed to say the least, for they told me it was fixed.

Back in she went...

This time I test drove her with the mechanic so I could point out to him the problem and the ever fluctuation of the green power light.

I told him how it seem to calm down when the RPM were around 2k, and speed at about 20 to 40 MPH.

He placed it on the dynometer(correct name?) and it showed on the screen how when he pushed down on the throttle?? beneath the hood, the green line would develope SHARP spikes in it at certain speeds.

At high speeds it would develope a spike occassionally an he explained to me how this all corresponded to the RPM problem at certain speeds...well that didnt take genius to understand...lol.

Anyhow as it turned out he pin pointed it to be the Throttle position sensor.....

andfianny after spending an additional 448.00 dollars...it seems to be running great.

BUT, it is adjusted at 4.60 volts.

And I did notice that the RPM hangs alot in the 2k to 2500k in regular driving, like no load...but NO power light is coming on...no morre engine revs etc.

My last question...

is this the normal setting for the car. It has Turbo.

In closing I know she needed a tuneup but that was not the issue.

So I can only suggest that if you have problems with the RPMs targeted the throttle position switch, for it might save u some bucks!!

Well, I do hope its fixed. Its running about 2k rpm alot of the times. I still think this is high.

If I go through gas I will have to take it into them.

I wonder if this wasnt something my kid could have fixed for me??

But if you have to adjust idle i guess not??

Just is a lot of money to have in a car thats 17 yrs old! :eek:

Come to think of it I wonder if this isnt the same thing I replaced about 5 yrs ago, when the car would shut itself off as it was taking sharp turns. I recall the mechainc replacing a sensor underneath the hood up near that same area.

car was under warranty at the time. The guy I got it from would go into his "parts cars" and use parts from them to repair my car, when it was under warranty. I bought it used, and initally it had so many starter problems.

Here I caught them replacing the starters with "used"-not rebuilt from their cache of used subbies!

My warranty covered me for new or rebuilt!

So, maybe it was something he worked on and nowit came back to haunt me.

I wish I could have trusted them to work on it this time, but after abusing the terms of the warranty, I lost all trust in them.

Archived